No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Now water cuts on top of Tripoli’s electricity and fuel misery

byMichel Cousins
September 4, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Michel Cousins.

Tripoli, 4 September 2013:

Water supplies to parts of central Tripoli were cut yesterday evening bringing further anguish and exasperation . . .[restrict]to a city already hit by rolling electricity outages and long queues at petrol stations.

Many in the capital attribute the stoppage to action by members of the southern Megraha tribe who had cut the Man-Made River following the kidnapping of Abdullah Senussi’s daughter Anoud on Monday. However, they restarted the flow a few hours later following negotiations with Water Resources Minister Alhadi Suleiman Hinshir.  She has since been reported freed.

At his press conference today, the Prime Minister, Ali Zeidan, confirmed that there had been negotiations, saying simply that those who had tired to cut the water had stepped back from such action. However, the water cuts, along with the electricity outages, were the result of the oil field and terminal strikes and blockades, he said – giving no further explanation. The water problem would be resolved within hours, he predicted.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

Tripoli’s Grand Water Reservoir: Aldabaiba to eliminate water scarcity by supporting development projects

For its part, the Ministry of Water Resources would give no reasons for the stoppage. A spokesman refused to comment, saying that the Minister, Alhadi Suleiman Hinshir, would be making a statement later.

However, the Libya Herald has been told that water pumps at the Sidi Sayeh reservoir south of Tripoli had not been working because of the power cuts. Another report claimed that pumps near Ain Zara had been sabotaged.

Neither can be verified.

Coming on top of the electricity cuts and the long waits to buy petrol, the water crisis has noticeably increased public resentment over the government’s performance. In coffee shops and shisha cafes, it is the major subject of conversation.

There were water cuts lasting almost a week in Tripoli 11 months ago when the power supply near Bani Walid to the water pumps that fill the reservoir at Sidi Sayeh was cut. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaTripoliwater

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Temporary move of all flights from Tripoli to Mitiga now appears unlikely

Temporary move of all flights from Tripoli to Mitiga now appears unlikely

Youths fight in Tripoli

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.