No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Running water – coming back to a tap near you

bythomwestcott
May 20, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Running water – coming back to a tap near you

Water runs from taps across the capital after a week of cuts (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

By Tom Westcott.

Water runs from taps across the capital after a week of cuts (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)
Water is back running from taps across the capital after a week of cuts (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

Tripoli, 12 September 2013:

Jubilant cries have been greeting the first sight of water dribbling out of taps across Tripoli . . .[restrict]today, as the Ministry of Water Resources stayed good to its word that the capital would have water by Friday.

It has been a long week of shortages, with people forced to cut back on basic cleaning and reserve bottled water for essentials. Locals have been resourceful, reusing water from air conditioning units for the toilet, tapping into wells at mosques or homes and stockpiling bottled water, but right now nothing beats the sight of water gushing from a tap.

The supply to Tripoli was stopped on 3 September after members of the Magarha tribe stormed the main pumping station of the Man-Made River (MMR) at Jebel-Hasana. They forced employees to stop work and said they would not allow pumping to restart until the kidnapped daughter of Qaddafi-era spy chief Abdullah Senussi had been released.

RELATED POSTS

Ministry of Water Resources commissions Turkish company Fermak to assess status of Wadi al-Majanin and Wadi Ghan dams

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

Anoud Senussi was kidnapped on 2 September, just after she left Ruhaimi Prison at Ain Zara where she had served a ten-month sentence for entering the country on a false passport. The kidnap was later said to have been executed by Libyan Special Forces, in a move apparently designed to protect Anoud.

The pipeline was finally reopened just two hours after Anoud was returned to family members in Sebha. However, because the pipes were full of air, water had to be reintroduced gradually, to prevent a dangerous build-up of pressure that could have caused an explosion.

For water from the south to reach Tripoli, more than 1 million cubic metres per day needed to be flowing through the pipelines. Today, that target was clearly reached. [/restrict]

Tags: Anoud SenussiLibyaMinistry of Water ResourcesTripoliwater

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

Football clubs in the east pull out of Champions League over funding row

No one, including thuwar, has right to use of force: Zeidan

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.