No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Security fears push Libya and Algeria to activate Joint Commission

byMichel Cousins
August 6, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Tripoli, 6 August 2013:

Faced with continuing cross border incursions by smugglers and terrorists, Libya and Algeria have decided to activate . . .[restrict]the Joint Commission agreed last year. Security is a major aspect of its anticipated work, although it is supposed to cover a much wider field, including political and economic collaboration.

The decision to activate the commission was taken at a meeting in the Algerian capital yesterday between the Prime Minister, Ali Zeidan, and his Algerian counterpart, Abdelmalek Sellal and the Algerian Foreign Minister Mourad Medelci.

Security is of particular concern to Algeria. Last week, Sellal called on Maghreb countries to work much closer to improve border security, saying that smuggling was now at an “alarming level”.  The smuggling includes drugs and people but the most urgent issue is the movement of arms and terrorists, particularly between Mali, Algeria, Libya and Tunisia.

RELATED POSTS

Libya, Algeria and Tunisia agree on further cooperation on land transport

REAoL delegation participates in MeetMED Week 2024 in Tunisia

Algeria has been coordinating military action with Tunisia against pro-Al-Qaeda militants, said to include Libyans, who have been waging a guerilla war against the Tunisian army in the Chaambi mountains near the Algerian border. Last week, they killed eight Tunisian soldiers. The Algerian army has increased its presence on the border and Tunisian foreign Minister Othman Jarandi was due in Algiers today to discuss further cooperation.

Algeria also increased its military presence on the 900-kilometre border with Libya, following the deadly attack in January by militants on the In Amenas oil and gas facility. The Algerians claimed the attackers came from Libya, although that has been denied by the Libyan government.

The Algerian presence has now been further expanded with the deployment an top infantry brigade together with increased airborne surveillance of the Libyan border.

Last month, a vehicle, said to have crossed over from Libya and carrying arms, including anti-aircraft missiles and RPGs, was destroyed by Algerian troops in El Oued and its three occupants killed. According to reports in Algeria, the three were taking Libyan weapons to the militants in the Chaambi mountains.

Nigerien soldiers also recently captured a massive quantity of arms near the Algerian border being transported by militants. They were reported as having come from Libya.

The open border and illegal cross-border activity post a major threat to the security of the region, Zeidan was quoted by the Libyan news agency LANA as saying in Algiers.

The talks also focused on ways Algeria can provide support for Libya’s development.  One hundred and sixty Libyan policemen have just finished a three-month training course in Algeria and will be starting work in Libya shortly. According to Zeidan, another batch will be sent to Algeria shortly.

The Algerian Prime Minister has been invited to Tripoli in late September or early October next to hold further talks on issues of security and other issues.

  [/restrict]

Tags: algeriaLibyaTunisia

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Libyan orphans get new clothes for Eid from UAE

New moon progress streamed live from Tripoli tomorrow

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.