No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tripoli students postpone planned Monday strike over campus security

byNigel Ash
June 3, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Tripoli students postpone planned Monday strike over campus security

By Reem Tombokti.

Tripoli, 2 June 2013:

Tripoli University Students Union tonight . . .[restrict]said it is postponing a strike called for tomorrow to protest a collapse in security on the campus and the assault of a female engineering undergraduate.

News of the suspension of the action, published on the student union’s Facebook page, came in response to the government’s announcement earlier today that it was assigning a kateeba to be responsible for campus security.

RELATED POSTS

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

The students warned however that if university security does not improve within ten days, the strike will still go ahead.

The student leader at the engineering faculty, Hafeth El-Qabroon, told the Libya Herald that the last straw had been an assault of one of the students while she was waiting for her father to pick her up inside campus.  Faculty students picketed the Dean’s office to protest.

Qabroon said that the old university guards are not armed. They have been attacked on more than one occasion with light weapons. Since then only few of them are still doing their job. However, the Ministry of Interior had, for a brief period, provided the university with armed personnel to establish a sense of security for students and staff.

“The university is a part of a country where chaos is everywhere.” said Mohamed Naas, an electrical engineering student,  “It is expected that the university campuses are not secure.” He added that those behind most of the security breaches are people from inside the university.

Other undergraduates reported that some students “came to university carrying their pistols with them.”

“We are not satisfied with the security situation in our universities right now,” Mohamed Hasan Abu-Bakr, Minister of Higher Education, admitted to the Libya Herald last week. “We are trying to take all necessary measures to have more control over it. We contacted the Ministry of Interior more than once to provide guard for universities campuses all around Libya.”

“We tried to reactivate the previous university guards body, to put an end to these security threats, but they were not armed and given that there are many weapons on Libyan streets, the reactivation failed.”

Abu-Bakr continued: “So we are thinking of establishing a Universities’ Facilities Guard body, similar to that of the Petroleum Facilities Guard.”

At the time, the Minister also mentioned that his ministry might contact the Ministry of Defence to provide students with security at least around the outside gates of campuses.

Some students are likely to be relieved that the planned strike has been postponed for at least ten days. They had complained to the students union that the timing of the action clashed with their mid-term exams. [/restrict]

Tags: assaultfeaturedLibyasecuritystrikestudents unionTripoli university

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Police pay protestors fire on Interior Ministry

Police pay protestors fire on Interior Ministry

Hollande: No military intervention in Libya

Hollande: No military intervention in Libya

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.