No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Fake Egyptian surgeon arrested in Khoms

bythomwestcott
May 7, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, 6 May 2013:

An Egyptian man claiming to be a surgeon and working under bogus medical qualifications has been arrested in . . .[restrict]Khoms.

The man, who claimed to be a specialist surgeon, had been working at the 17 February Medical Centre in Khoms when allegations of sexual harassment by female colleagues led to his arrest by the Supreme Security Committee (SSC).

When questioned, the suspect apparently admitted that he was not actually a surgeon. He said instead that he was a gynaecologist who had previously worked at a private clinic specialising in women’s health in Khoms.

The director of the private clinic, however, said that the suspect had worked there for less than a week. Six days into his job, after failing to help a patient in labour, he walked out of the hospital and disappeared. The director said he had submitted a report about the incident to the Doctors’ Association in March this year.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Railroads signs MoU with Chinese BFI Consortium for rail line to Egypt

23 flights of international aid from 12 states arrive in Libya within 24 hours – government asks UN to coordinate effort

The suspect was later employed by the Khoms Ministry of Health to work as a general surgeon at the 17 February Medical Centre, a public hospital, until his arrest for allegedly using obscene words to female colleagues and harassing them by telephone.

An investigation into the suspect’s credentials revealed his qualifications, a PhD and a Masters’ Degree in obstetrics and gynaecology, to be fake, according to the SSC’s official Facebook page.

The suspect said that he had paid two young Libyan printers to help him forge the certificates, less than a month after entering the country. The two men, who apparently admitted to forging the documents, were arrested.

All three men now face charges of forgery and their cases have been passed to the Public Prosecutor’s Office.

An increasing number of Egyptians have been using illegal means, including fake medical certificates and forged visas to get jobs in Libya. The Egyptian Minister of Manpower and Immigration, Khaled Al-Azhari, has said that many Egyptian workers have recently been deported from Libya for holding such forgeries, according to Egyptian newspaper Al-Ahram.

He admitted that “large numbers” of Egyptians were still obtaining fake documents but said that the ministry was taking urgent steps to regulate prospective workers and stop them from entering Libya illegally.

Mohamed Hassan, from the Egyptian Chamber of Commerce, said that the Libyan embassy in Cairo had been exacerbating the situation. “The embassy delays the process of Libyan visas for several weeks and gives no specific or fixed time for passport handling,” Hassan said. He added that this encouraged Egyptian nationals pursue illegal ways of entering the country.

Hassan said that the embassy’s decision on 30 April to stop handling passports has caused a backlog of visa applications, and called on the revelevant authorities to find a solution. [/restrict]

Tags: Egyptfake surgeonKhomsLibyaSSC

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Reports of four key ministerial resignations denied

RLTT selects Eutelsat's KA-SAT to accelerate wireless Internet in Libya

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.