No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya and Egypt to open border consulates

byMichel Cousins
March 8, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami.

Tripoli, 7 March 2013:

Libya and Egypt are to open consulates just across the joint border – a Libyan one . . .[restrict]in Mersa Matruh and an Egyptian one in Tobruk – in a move that is hoped will ease traffic and visa issues between the two countries. The announcement was made today, Thursday, in Cairo by the Prime Minister, Ali Zeidan. He arrived last night, Wednesday, in the Egyptian capital for discussions with his Egyptian counterpart, Hisham Qandil, on relations between the two countries.

The move should make it easier for locals on both sides of the border to obtain visas to cross and visit relatives on the other side.

“We are both working on making things easier,” said Qandil at a press conference after the meeting.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Railroads signs MoU with Chinese BFI Consortium for rail line to Egypt

23 flights of international aid from 12 states arrive in Libya within 24 hours – government asks UN to coordinate effort

There was chaos for several days on the border when a number of Egyptians from Sollum and the surrounding area blockaded it in protest at new Libyan rules under which all Egyptians are now required to obtain visas to enter Libya.

The protestors were mainly from the Awlad Ali tribe which is found on both sides of the border. During the Qaddafi era, members of the tribe were allowed into Libya without restrictions.

At his press conference last Thursday, the Prime Minister said that non-Libyan nationals of the same tribe in neighbouring states would have to have visas to enter Libya. He was referring to Awlad Ali, half of whom live on the Libyan side of the frontier and the other half in Egypt.

Interior minister Ashour Shuwail announced on 23 February that the government had decided that all Egyptians entering Libya had to have a visa.

The decision had already been put into effect when the border was reopened on 19 February after the five-day closure by the Libyan government because of concerns about security during the second anniversary celebrations of the 17 February Revolution.

The change resulted in Egyptian Awlad Ali tribe blockading the crossing at Musaid, stopping cargo trucks and passengers. At the height of the crisis, an estimated 8,000 vehicles were said to have been prevented from crossing the frontier.

The crossing was finally reopened last Monday after mediation with tribal elders on both sides of the border.

The decision also sparked anti-Libya protests in the Egyptian town of Mersa Matruh with some residents raising the green flag and renaming one of the streets after the “martyr Muammar Qaddafi”. They claimed that, as Arabs, they should be allowed to enter Libya freely without any restrictions.

Ali Zeidan, who is accompanied on the visit to Egypt by Deputy Interior Minister Omar Khadrawi and Libyan intelligence chief Salem Hassi, also said that he had discussed with the Egyptian premier a number of issues related to the economic and trade cooperation between the two countries.

He also raised the issues of Qaddafi loyalists in Egypt, and Libyan frozen investments there. In regard to the latter, he said that the Egyptian government had not made a decision to release them as yet. “We have to apply to a committee to release those assets,” he said. “We will ask the Egyptian authorities to cooperate with us in that regard.” [/restrict]

Tags: EgyptLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
INTERPOL database passport checks start at Tripoli airport

INTERPOL database passport checks start at Tripoli airport

Attack on Benghazi Council offices condemned

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.