No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Largest party quits Congress in protest, earns supporters’s criticism

byNigel Ash
January 9, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Largest party quits Congress in protest, earns supporters’s criticism

NFA members at the Monday press conference (photo NFA)

By Ryszard Bouvier.

NFA members at the Monday press conference (photo NFA)

Tripoli, 8 January:

Mahmoud Jibril’s National Forces Alliance – with 39 party seats the largest bloc within the 200-member General National . . .[restrict]Congress – has withdrawn from the assembly, in protest over “poor performance” and “unacceptable practices” in Libya’s first elected legislative body.

The withdrawal was announced on Sunday. In a statement, the NFA declared: “The Libyan people put their faith in our hands, and if we are not able to perform accordingly, we need to turn down the responsibility, lest we be considered oppressors. We needed to adopt this position in order to single out some of the shortcomings and we ask people to show their solidarity with us.”

The declaration then listed its issues with Congress and its president, Mohamed Magarief.  These included excessive delays in establishing the Constituent Assembly that will draft the Constitution and unilateral decisions by the presidency without consulting GNC members, thereby hindering Congress from carrying out its core functions.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The NFA also condemned what it described as the president’s inaction in the face of security threats and violent disturbances of GNC sessions. It also cited what it believed is a lack of standard procedures and rules to steer Congress meetings.

The harshness of the accusations seems to point to rising tensions within the legislature.

At a press conference on Monday, party members returned to the stalled decision on the Constituent Assembly, which they said  had been repeatedly pushed back, far beyond the extension period provided for in the 2011 constitutional declaration.

The party representatives also emphasised the difficult working conditions for parliamentarians, given that GNC sessions have been disrupted by violent protests on numerous occasions.

The official head of the NFA in Congress, Ibrahim Al-Ghariani, said it was a temporary withdrawal until demands were met, according to AFP.

Reactions to the withdrawal have been mixed, with many Libyans calling the decision “irresponsible” and “counterproductive”.

“Resignation is the language of those who have lost everything”, wrote one commentator on The Libyan Nation website.

“We elected you to form a political resistance, not so that you would resign at the first occasion!”, commented another on the official NFA Facebook page.

The withdrawal has also sparked lively debates on Twitter, where the NFA appears to have numerous supporters who are nevertheless disappointed at the party’s decision.

Many point out that, regardless of problems within the GNC, boycotting it does not serve the interest of the nation and its people any better.

Others have sided with the NFA, congratulating the party for its decisive stance against unjustified meddling in Congress affairs by Magarief and also  for putting the constitutional issue back on the agenda.

Some also see the withdrawal as a step to marginalise influential figures, such as the party leader Jibril, who held senior positions within the Qaddafi regime.

Looked at this way, the NFA through its decision may have played into the hands of its adversaries.  Equally it may be an attempt to distract attention from accusations against some of its members.

However, most people seem to agree that the withdrawal mainly reflects pent-up frustrations among NFA delegates, at the GNC’s slow and tedious decision-making process, coupled with their loss of leverage, in comparison to other political forces that have gained influence since Congress was elected. [/restrict]

Tags: JibrilLibyaNFA

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

PAKISTAN EMBASSY SCHOOL TRIPOLI, LIBYA

Libyan Paralympic Committee to hold AGM in Al-Beida on 10 January.

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.