No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi Local Council to get funding at last

byGeorge Grant
December 20, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Benghazi Local Council to get funding at last

Benghazi Local Council President

By George Grant.

Benghazi Local Council President Mahmoud Abu Raziza. (Photo: George Grant)

Tripoli, 19 December:

Prime Minister Ali Zeidan said that emergency funds would be transferred to the Benghazi Local Council “in . . .[restrict]a matter of hours” on Wednesday evening, following a meeting with the council’s new president Mahmoud Abu Raziza in Tripoli.

Having discussed the state of public services, it was decided “to allocate financial support to Benghazi Local Council as soon as possible”, Zeidan said. “The money for the Benghazi emergency budget will transferred in a matter of hours or a day.”

The move will help alleviate some of the strains on the Council, which has been terminally short of funds since its formation back in May.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

Discussions were also held on the ongoing security crisis in the city, in particular in the wake of Sunday’s deadly attacks on the Benghazi police headquarters.

“We also talked about the budget of 2013” added Raziza, who said that having discussed the emergency situation in the city, “the Prime Minister agreed immediately to financial support to alleviate the suffering in Benghazi.”

Asked by the Libya Herald how much money had been allocated, Zeidan said this was a matter for the council, but the floor was not then offered to Raziza to answer the question.

Last week, councilors Mostafa Sheikhy and Mohamed Al-Mqsbai told this paper that the council had still not received a penny of the LD 241 million emergency budget repeatedly requested under the Kib Government and just LD 16 million out of a total LD 31 million operating budget allocated for 2012.

The men said that the Kib Government had operated a misguided policy of allocating funds only for salaries and expenses whilst refusing to pay for development and reconstruction.

They complained that so desperate had the situation become that they were being forced to use what little funds they had from the operating budget to pay for emergency services.

“We are having difficulties even with that because the auditor cannot approve use of some of the money for emergency situations”, Sheikhy said. “The budget, when it was written, was tasked for specific items, so every time an emergency happens the auditor’s hands are tied. It’s an uphill battle all the time.”

  [/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeaturedLibyaRazizaZeidan

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Libyan Holding Company for Development and Investment sells office buildings in the Tripoli Gate 1 project

Libyan Holding Company for Development and Investment sells office buildings in the Tripoli Gate 1 project

Mitiga Airport cleared of mines

Mitiga Airport cleared of mines

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

LBC and Libyan African Council for Sub-Saharan Countries held its first official meeting – an action plan to enhance Libya’s economic presence in Africa is agreed

LIDCO continues construction on 8,500 car multistorey carpark as part of Tripoli Gate 1 Project

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.