No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi Local Council president resigns again

byGeorge Grant
December 8, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Benghazi Local Council president resigns again

Juma Al-Sahli first attempted to resign on xx October

By George Grant & Maha Ellawati.

Juma Al-Sahli first attempted to resign from the Local Council on 21 October.

Tripoli & Benghazi, 8 December:

The president of Benghazi Local Council has resigned for the second time in . . .[restrict]less than two months, after his first attempt to stand down was rejected.

Juma Al-Sahli initially tendered his resignation on 21 October, citing the “desperate” situation regarding non-payment of local salaries and the government’s failure to fulfill promises of support to Benghazi as reasons for his decision.

This time, however, the Local Council has said that the resignation is nothing more than standard procedure, and that the presidency is now working on a rotation basis.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

“Every three months we have elections to choose a new leader”, council spokesman Khaled Al-Jazwee told the Libya Herald. “If the president has been working hard and doing well, he will be given the option to stay on for another three months, and this is sort of an incentive to do a good job.”

Jazwee said that when Sahli resigned in October, the council urged him to stay and he agreed, but that he had insisted on standing down.

The decision was announced on Thursday evening, and Sahli has been replaced by Mahmoud Abu Raziza, one of the four councilors for Benghazi’s fifth electoral district, New Benghazi and Al-Hadaiq.

The announcement of the three-month rotation rule has not convinced some locals, however, not least because both of Sahli’s announced resignations have come within a two month period.

“This rotation idea is the reason they are giving, but it isn’t true”, said a Benghazi lawyer who requested to remain anonymous for fear of harassment. “They are ashamed at the number of resignations and the fact that the council is not achieving anything.”

The lawyer cited the many serious pressures still confronting the Local Council, not least an ongoing spate of assassinations plaguing the eastern city, as the real cause behind the decision.

Sahli was himself a replacement for the Local Council’s first president, Shahat Awami, who tendered his resignation on 16 August complaining of “unworkable” conditions.

On 20 November, the Local Council suffered an additional blow with the resignation of Najat Al-Kikhia, the only female member, and the candidate who received the highest number of votes in the 19 May elections.

She said that the council had failed to achieve the expectations and aspirations of the people of Benghazi, and alleged a broader problem of obstructionism and incompetence amongst officials not on the council in the eastern city. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Next Post

NGOs organise constitutional awareness programmes across Libya

Libyans accused of fighting for Qaddafi spared jail by Zawia court

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.