No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Only female member of Benghazi Local Council resigns, citing obstructionism, incompetence

byGeorge Grant
November 22, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Only female member of Benghazi Local Council resigns, citing obstructionism, incompetence

By Maha Ellawati.

Najat Al-Kikhia poses draped in the Libyan flag and brandishing an assault rifle. (Photo: Maha Ellawati)

Benghazi, 20 November:

Benghazi Local Council’s only female member, and the woman who received the most votes in the 19 . . .[restrict]May elections, has resigned, alleging obstructionism and incompetence amongst officials in the town.

Najat Al-Kikhia said that the council had failed to achieve the expectations and aspirations of the people of Benghazi in the six months since it first took office.

“The reason for my resignation was the obvious and unfair hindrance practiced by some local officials, perhaps in defence of their interests and positions”, Kikhia said after announcing her decision yesterday.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The former councilor did not provide details of who or what she meant by “unfair hindrance”, but such allegations have been leveled at the council in the past, notably with regards to an early decision to freeze funding for two local television stations, Benghazi TV and the Benghazi Broadcasting Network.

Kikhia is the third person to resign from the local council, with the body’s first two presidents, Shahat Awami and Juma Sahli, having previously handed in their notice.

As with Awami and Sahli, Kikhia also aimed her fire at the central government in Tripoli and its apparent failure to provide the council with the necessary resources to carry out its work effectively.

She accused the government of “negligence and a lack of cooperation”, repeating a grievance frequently heard from the Benghazi council that Tripoli had failed to transfer the full amount of pledged budgets.

As an example of the consequences of this failure, Kikhia cited an outstanding project to develop Benghazi airport, including the construction of a new international passenger’s hall. “In the absence of the needed budget from the central government”, Kikhia said, “the council is considering the possibility of funding the project with the help of the city’s residents”.

The local council has recently commissioned a committee to liaise with the government in Tripoli in an attempt to secure the six million dinars it is estimated are needed to complete the project.

However, Kikhia complained bitterly that this committee did not contain a single member from the local council, which, she said, “demonstrates that the local council trusts in the abilities of others more than the abilities and capabilities of its own members”. Such a procedure was wrong, she said, and also contributed to her decision to resign.

Kikhia also warned that the council suffered from a remit problem, with the government having thus far failed to implement any regulatons specifying exactly what the functions and powers of local councils should be.

The National Congress is currently finalsing the details of a Local Administration law designed to clarify precisely these kinds of issues.

Prior to her resignation, Kikhia represented the local council’s fourth constituency of Al-Birka, having received 7,784 votes on 19 May, more than twice the number of her nearest rival in the district.

Correction: Najat Al-Kikhia has subsequently contacted the Libya Herald to clarify that by “officials” she was not referring to her elected colleagues on the local council, and that by “unfair hindrance practiced by some local officials, perhaps in defence of their interests and positions” she was not alleging corruption. [/restrict]

Tags: Benghazi Local CouncifeaturedLibyaNajat Al-KikhiaWoman

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Greater clarity emerges on local council election moratorium as Tripoli Local Council vows to press on as planned

Greater clarity emerges on local council election moratorium as Tripoli Local Council vows to press on as planned

Libyans supporting Palestine as GNC prepares humanitarian delegation to Gaza

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.