No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Protesters demand return of NOC to Benghazi

byGeorge Grant
October 13, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Protesters demand return of NOC to Benghazi

Protesters called for the NOC to be returned to Benghazi, "its natural home". (Photo: Maha Ellawati)

By Maha Ellawati.

Protesters called for the NOC to be returned to Benghazi, “its natural home”. (Photo: Maha Ellawati)

Benghazi, 13 October:

Members of the Benghazi Local Council joined with employees of the Arab Gulf Oil Company, the National . . .[restrict]Oil Company and dozens of local residents yesterday in protest at the NOC’s recent decision to suspend a move to develop its Benghazi branch.

The demonstration, entitled “Bring back Benghazi’s oil institutions to their natural location”, took place in front of the Tibesti Hotel, which was originally designed as the Benghazi headquarters of the NOC before Qaddafi moved the operation to Tripoli in 1970-71.

On 4 October, the NOC announced plans to radically enhance the size and influence of its Benghazi branch by effectively giving it the power to run the oil sector in eastern Libya, which accounts for some 80 per cent of the country’s total production.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

Resolution 100 was placed on hold on Tuesday, however, following protests by NOC workers in Tripoli who complained that the move represented an unacceptable shift towards federalism in Libya by creating separate NOCs in the east and west.

That decision in turn sparked major discontent in Benghazi, with yesterday’s demonstration being only the most recent manifestation. Protesters complained that the suspension of Resolution 100 further marginalised eastern Libya, and Benghazi in particular.

Chanting slogans such as “no to centralisation”, protesters demanded a return of the NOC to Benghazi, which, they said, was its natural home. Oil workers have also threatened to ignore future decisions of the NOC unless their concerns are addressed.

The demonstrators pointed out that Benghazi was the home of the 17 February revolution, but that it had been neglected by Tripoli in the year since Qaddafi’s capture and death last October.

They also complained of a broader cultural discrimination in Libya, highlighting the disparity in the number of television stations in western and eastern Libya, and claiming that the problem even applied to school textbooks, in which the history of eastern Libya was deliberately marginalised and falsified.

They said that they would not cease to highlight their discontent simply because Benghazi had been named the Libyan Capital of Culture in 2013.

Finally, the protest moved from the Tibesti hotel to Shajara Square in order to avoid any clashes with a newly-arrived group protesting against the plight of Bani Walid. [/restrict]

Tags: featured

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Don't go hunting in Libya, UAE government advises its citizens

Draft Report on the National Health Systems Consultation Conference (LH500) held in Tripoli, Libya August 26th – 30th

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.