No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Britain and France congratulate Ali Zidan on PM appointment

byNihal Zaroug
October 17, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Nihal Zaroug.

Ali Zidan narrowly beat the Muslim Brotherhood candidate Mohammed Al-Harari in the prime minister’s election on 14 October.

Tripoli, 16 October:

Britain and France have congratulated Ali Zidan on his election as prime minster on 14 October by . . .[restrict]the National Congress. Zidan secured the post with 93 votes, eight votes more than his opponent Mohammed Al-Harari, the current minister for local government and member of the Muslim Brotherhood.

Both countries championed last year’s pro-democracy uprising against the Qaddafi regime and were heavily involved in the intervention that subsequently followed.

“I congratulate Dr Zidan on his election as Prime Minister”, UK Foreign Office Minister for North Africa Alistair Burt said yesterday.

RELATED POSTS

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

“This will allow Libya to form a new government to build on the work started by the Transitional Government and address the challenges still facing the Libyan people, in particular as it seeks to establish stability and security. The UK and the wider international community remain committed to supporting the Libyan people and the new government, and look forward to developing further a fruitful and productive relationship in the coming months.”

France has also offered its congratulations to Zidan yesterday and pledged to support Libya in the coming months.

“France congratulates Ali Zidan who was elected prime minister on October 14 by Libya’s General National Congress in a democratic and transparent election”, the French government said in a statement.

“Mr Zidan played an important role in the revolution as it unfolded. We would like him to continue to firmly and effectively pursue the transition process under way, in accordance with the aspirations expressed by the Libyan people in the July 7 election.

In July, the National Congress elections saw the centrist National Forces Alliance sweep more than double the votes of the Muslim Brotherhood’s Justice and Construction party, a strong indication of the will of the Libyan people.

“France, which has, right from the start, supported the aspirations of the Libyan people for freedom, will continue to stand alongside the new authorities in order to support them in their efforts to establish the rule of law”, the statement continued. “It will notably support the Libyan authorities’ efforts to restore security in the country, a prerequisite for consolidating the achievements of the revolution.”

In a show of good faith, former Prime Minister-elect Mustafa Abushagur also congratulated Zidan over twitter on becoming Libya’s new prime minister.

National Congress President Magarief has also congratulated Zidan and wished him luck in forming a new government. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
“Ali Zidan PM” Twitter account rumbled as a fake

"Ali Zidan PM" Twitter account rumbled as a fake

Veterinary centres to be set up at Tunisia border crossings

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.