No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Local News Beida

Journalists “still being held” in Bani Walid as more Misratans reported captured

byGeorge Grant
July 26, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Journalists “still being held” in Bani Walid as more Misratans reported captured

Security forces at Bir Dufan. Three Misratans from the government's Libya Shield brigade passed through the checkpoint 20km from Bani Walid yesterday and did not return (Photo: George Grant)

By George Grant.

Tripoli, 14 July:

Security forces at Bir Dufan. Three Misratans from the government’s Libya Shield brigade passed through the checkpoint 20km from Bani Walid on Thursday and did not return (Photo: George Grant)

Two Misratan journalists captured in Bani Walid last Sunday are still being held, in spite of reports . . .[restrict]earlier today that a delegation from Jadu had managed to secure their release.

The journalists, Yusuf Baadi and Abdul Qader Fusuq, were picked up in Bani Walid on their way back from Mizdah where they had been covering the elections for Misrata’s Tobacts TV station.

“Bani Walid has refused to release them”, Ahmed Shlak, a fellow journalist at Tobacts TV, told the Libya Herald this evening by telephone. “They have sent the delegation from Jadu out”.

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

Earlier today, Mustafa Algleb, a Misrata member of the NTC, also confirmed to this paper that the journalists were still being held. “They have not been released and we don’t know what’s happening”, he said.

In the past six days, delegations from various Libyan cities have been dispatched to Bani Walid in an effort to resolve the crisis, with none proving successful thus far. The most recent delegation, from Jadu, was reported to have arrived in the town yesterday evening.

In a new development, diplomats in Tripoli have said that there are now moves for delegations from Misrata and Bani Walid to discuss the issue face-to-face on neutral ground in the east of the country at Bayda.

This evening, the Libya Herald also received credible reports that three, potentially four more Misratans were captured in Bani Walid on Thursday.

At a visit to the frontline checkpoint of Bir Dufan yesterday, guards informed this paper that three Misratans – subsequently confirmed as being from the government’s Libya Shield brigade – passed through the station and did not return.

It is now understood that their vehicle came under attack and that two of the men, Omran Shaban and Mohammed Al-Ouyb, have been taken to hospital in Bani Walid for treatment. Both the fate and the identity of the third man remains unknown.

On the same day, Abdul Aziz Harous, an independent journalist from Misrata, was reportedly captured in Bani Walid and is also being held.

The standoff has threatened to reignite long-standing tensions between the two cities, which were exacerbated when they took opposing sides during last year’s revolution.

However, in spite of fears of a potential assault on Bani Walid by government forces to free the men, the authorities in Tripoli now appear set on finding a diplomatic solution to the crisis, with Prime Minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib said to be personally involved.

The army is not surrounding Bani Walid at present and commanders from Misrata have confirmed they will not take action without government authorisation.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Bani WalidBir DufanJadujournalistsLibyaMisrata

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Government bans unlicensed protests

National Front’s Magaraif conciliatory after poor election results

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.