No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misrata Brigade threatens force if government does not act

byMichel Cousins
July 11, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Misrata, 10 July:

The Security Battalion of Misrata, headed by Juma Belhaj, issued a statement this afternoon stating it has a duty . . .[restrict]to protect the two Misrata TV journalists, Yusuf Baadi and Abdul Qader Fusuq, seized in Bani Walid last week.  The battalion said it was under the legitimate authority of  the government and state. It would not act without the government’s approval. However, this was then contradicted with the condition that if the government did not take action to secure the journalists’ release, the battalion would have to do so itself.

The two men, the statement read, were jounalists doing their job covering the elections, first in Mizdah, then Nismah and finally Bani Walid.

This is seen as a rebuttal of claims in Bani Walid that the two journalists were spies from Misrata sent to take pictures of the place in preparation for an attack.  Bani Walid military leaders have said that neither Baadi not Fusuq had permission to enter the town and should consequently be put in trial.

Referring to Bani Walid’s demand that 120 of its men held in Misrata be handed over in return for freeing the two, the statement said that an exchange was against the law and there could be no comparison between the case of two Libyans doing their legitimate work and that of prisoners of war.  It added that the latter were not in Misrata’s possession but in the hands of the Ministry of Justice.

RELATED POSTS

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

A heavily armed Misratan force said to be over a thousand-strong is camped at Bir Dufan, halfway between Misrata and Bani Walid.  It is reported that others from elsewhere in Libya have been joining it.

Earlier Prime Minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib called for Bani Walid to hand over the two by Thursday.  Fighting is expected if the deadline is not met.

Meanwhile, women in Misrata plan a demonstration tomorrow afternoon in support of the two journalists.  The protest is scheduled to take place outside the Martyrs’ Hall in the city’s main square at 5 p.m.. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Trial of Qaddafi spy chief resumes – and is postponed – for third time

Trial of Qaddafi spy chief resumes - and is postponed - for third time

NTC change to selection of constitutional commission could be scrapped, says NFA secretary general

NTC change to selection of constitutional commission could be scrapped, says NFA secretary general

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.