No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Presidency Council dismisses Dabbashi as UN ambassador, replaces him with former PM Abdurrahim Al-Kib

byMichel Cousins
August 26, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Libyan Prime Minister Abdurrahim El-Kib
Former Libyan Prime Minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib

Tunis, 5 July 2016:

In a surprise move, the Presidency Council has appointed former prime minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib as Libya’s ambassador to the UN, replacing Ibrahim Dabbashi who has been in post since July 2013.

The move has drawn some disapproval, notably from Kib’s former health minister Nagi Barakat who questioned his competence for the job.

In recent months, Dabbashi has come under increasing fire from all sides over his forthright comments about of the situation in the country. The Thinni administration in Beida sacked him twice, in January last year and this April, although that was largely because of his support for the Presidency Council. He simply ignored it, knowing that he had the support of the UN and of Serraj and the Presidency Council.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

In recent weeks, however, this latter has faded. Last month, both the State Council head Abdulrahman Sewehli and the spokesman for the Bunyan Marsous Operations Room, fellow Misratan Mohamed Al-Ghasri, called for him to be sacked over comments he made to the UN in New York about the operation in Sirte against the so-called Islamic State. He said the notion of “forces controlled by the Government of National Accord” was unrealistic because they operated outside state control. Unless armed groups signed a binding commitment to disarm and agreed to join state institutions, he said, they could threaten the GNA.

Sewehli called the UN ambassador “insolent”.

Coming so soon after the controversial removal of four Cyrenaican members of the Government of National Accord, that of the highly competent Dabbashi is likely to be seen as another unnecessary shot in the foot by a weak Presidency Council, under pressure from the Misratans.

The move is also unlikely to be welcomed by the UN.

Tags: Abdurrahim Al-KibfeaturedIbrahim DabbashiLibya

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

UNSMIL lists June's civilian killings, including four more children

Libyan airforce ace dies in Benghazi

Libyan airforce ace dies in Benghazi

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.