No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tripoli International Airport still held by Zintan brigade

byMichel Cousins
March 25, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Tripoli, March 25: Tripoli International Airport was supposed to have been formally handed over to the Ministry of Transport . . .[restrict]by the Zintan brigade today, Sunday. There was meant to have been a small handover ceremony at 3.00pm, local time.

However, no one turned up at the appointed hour, apart from a few reporters.  It was then said that the handover was being delayed till 6.00pm. But this too passed without effect.  It was then reported that Mukhtar Al-Akhdar had told a local journalist that nothing would be happening today.

Meanwhile, sources close to the Interior Ministry said that there were last minute hitches and that Al-Akhdar was looking for further assurances before handing the airport over.  They did not specify the nature of the assurances.

The airport has been in the brigade’s hand since the liberation of Tripoli last August.

RELATED POSTS

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Since then, there has been growing friction over its presence there. In December, fighting between Zintan and Tripoli brigades outside the airport left four men dead.  At the beginning of the month there were a number of protests in Tripoli calling for the brigade to leave the airport.

At the Misrata national conference on the brigades on March 6-8, the Zintan brigade said it would abide by the agreement that all militias hand over ports, airports, border crossings and other places held by them. However, it did not specify when it would do so.

It was reported at the time that the Zintanis were unhappy about leaving the airport but had been ordered to comply by Zintan local council. Even so there were fears at the time that this would not happen. At the beginning of the month, the deputy leader of the brigade, Ali Koba, was reported saying that it was unhappy about the plan for members of brigades to join the army or the police. He indicated at the time that that it would not be moving.

However, on Sunday, March 10, Al-Akhdar said that the airport would be handed over “within a week”.

That was now more than two weeks ago, and so far it still has not happened.

The Minister of Transport, Yousef Wahashi, has appointed Nagmeddine Ibrahim Al-Rais as director of the airport.

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Exclusive Interview with Mustafa Abushagur, Deputy Prime Minister of Libya

Exclusive Interview with Mustafa Abushagur, Deputy Prime Minister of Libya

Surrounded Sirte surrenders four brigadesmen

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.