No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Libyan contracts with France to be reactivated.

byMichel Cousins
January 30, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libyan contracts with France to be reactivated.

All Libyan contracts with French companies will be reactivated according to Libyan Transport Minister, Yousef Wahashi. He was speaking at a . . .[restrict]press conference on Sunday with his French counterpart, Thierry Mariani, who had flown in at the head of what the French called “an exploratory” mission to investigate the scale of infrastructural damage during the overthrow of the Qaddafi regime.  It comprised a number of French companies, including Air France, Aéroport de Paris International (ADPI) and investment and industrial holding company Bolloré.

The French companies were reportedly interested in Libya’s ports, airports and the maintenance sector.  However, they were also said to be looking for outstanding fees on past contracts signed by the Qaddafi regime.  ADPI, which had committed itself to spending €500 million building the new Tripoli international airport, still had €100-million worth of bills unpaid.

At the press conference, Mariani said that France had to be present in Libya despite the political uncertainty and the fact that the interim government would resign in June. “Whatever the government, the infrastructure is paramount,” he said. The uncertainties to which he referred were dramatically highlighted by anti-Libyan government militiamen loudly protesting at the doorway that it had “no right” to sign any contracts with anyone.

Mariani confirmed that France would help Libya rebuild the country’s aviation sector.

“Our mechanisms and airline companies will work to activate and rehabilitate Libyan aircraft. Tripoli International Airport will become a connecting link between Africa and Europe and the companies that were present in Libya will be activated and willing to operate again in the reconstruction of Libya.”

RELATED POSTS

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Despite the presence of Air France in the team accompanying the minister, there was no announcement that Air France would be resuming flights between Tripoli and Paris. It has been rumored that, at least for the moment, Air France is happy to leave the business in the hands of Alitalia in which it has a 25-percent stake.  Alitalia operates Paris-Rome and Rome-Tripoli flights. However, the private French airline, Aigle Azur, is to start two direct Paris-Tripoli flights a week on March 27 once approval from Tripoli is granted.

Aigle Azur’s president, Arezki Idjerouidene, who was part of the delegation, told reporters in Tripoli that his company  thas been working on opening the route “since 2009”.  Permission had been informally given by the Libyan civil aviation authority but he was now waiting for formal confirmation.

French Transport Minister with Yousef Wahashi, Libyan Transport Minister in Tripoli.
French Transport Minister with Yousef Wahashi, Libyan Transport Minister in Tripoli.

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

May 18, 2026
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

Mellitah Oil and Gas completes maintenance on well A-28 in Abu Attifel field – reducing water to zero, increasing production to 2,490 bpd

May 18, 2026
Economy Minister Hwej reviews his ministry’s implementation of its 2023 plan and issues several directives
Business

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

May 18, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

May 17, 2026
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

May 17, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

Numisma Bank pledges to supply record amounts of cash dollars to the Central Bank of Libya in its Second Phase of cash injection to the Libyan market

May 17, 2026
Next Post
Turkey to lend Libya $250 million

Turkey to lend Libya $250 million

Turkish economy minister Zafer Caglayan in Tripoli in January with Libyan policemen in uniforms donated by Tika.

Turkey gives Police Vehicles

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.