No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Massive Anti-federal demonstrations planned on Friday

byMichel Cousins
March 9, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, 8 March: Massive demonstrations are expected tomorrow, Friday, across Libya to protest the unilateral establishment of the Cyrenaica Transitional Council . . .[restrict]in Benghazi on Tuesday.

The creation of the council, which wants to take over the administration of the east of the country, has created considerable anger and resentment throughout the country, not least in the east.  The biggest demonstration is planned in Benghazi itself, where organisers say they want a million people to protest against taking Libya back to three-state federation.

The Cyrenaica council wants Libya to adopt the 1951 constitution under which there were separate executives and parliaments in Tripolitania, Cyrenaica and Fezzan.

Like last month’s clashes in Kufra and, before that, Saadi Qaddafi’s TV declaration from his exile in Niger that he would return to lead a counter-revolution, the declaration of the Cyrenaica council has created a backlash and served to rally most Libyans behind the NTC.

Much of the anger — as much in Benghazi and the east as elsewhere in the country — is not that the Cyrenaica council is standing up for itself. It is that it is seen as an attempt to dictate Libya’s future instead of letting it be decided democratically in June’s elections to the constituent assembly.

RELATED POSTS

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

“It would have been different if they had set up a party campaigning for federalism,” said a prominent Benghazi figure and businessman who asked not to be named. ‘No ne would have objected.  But this was undemocratic.”  Yes, he said, Benghazi has been left ignored for years, and it needed investment and recognition. “But Jebel Nafusa too was ignored by Qaddafi.  So was most of Libya.”

Ironically, despite the anger, the council announcement may have the effect of focusing the government’s attention on the need to address the dire economic situation in Benghazi — both the lack of development and its collapsing infrastructure.  Prime Minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib suggested as much in his condemnation of the council on Wednesday.

Some of the public anger — as well as sadness and disappointment — is directed against Ahmed Zubair Senussi who was chosen to head the Cyrenaica body.  Grandson of the Grand Senussi, Ahmed Sharif Al-Senussi (and named after him), Ahmed Zubair was Qaddafi’s longest political prisoner, kept in jail for 31 years.  With the revolution he became a member of the NTC, although that is now in question.

Last year he was awarded the Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought by the European Parliament.

“He has lost all credibility,” the Benghazi businessman said, adding however that he was being used by others. “We know who’s behind him,” he added, claiming that these were people who were formally close to Qaddafi.

A similar claim was made earlier this week by NTC chairman Mustafa Abdul Jalil.

Confirming that loss of credibility, a number of anti-Zubair songs have sprung up in Benghazi in the last couple of days.   The Senussiya and the Senussi family are reported to be furious with him.

 

 

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

Ulema praise role of Libyan Women

Lawyers pay tribute to Libyan women on International Women’s Day

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.