No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi Islamists reach out to local tribe and moderate federalists

byMichel Cousins
September 9, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff. 

Benghazi/Tripoli, 22 October 2013:

Ismail Salabi, one of the Benghazi’s main Islamist leaders and a commander of the Libya . . .[restrict]Shield No. 1 batallion, and Khaled Buleghrayeb, a prominent figure in the federalist movement, met yesterday in an attempt to reduce tension and build bridges following the backlash against the Islamists in the city after Friday’s assassination of Libya military police chief Ahmed Mustafa Al-Barghathi.

Buleghrayeb, a member of the Aguri tribe, one of the largest in Libya and which includes the Barghathi, is linked to the more tribally-based group of federalists centred around the Cyrenaica Transitional Council’s symbolic leader, Ahmed Zubair Senussi. He and they were side-lined on 17 August when a younger group met in Ras Lanuf took over the movement and selected Ibrahim Jadhran as leader of its newly formed Political Bureau. He is now holding Libya to ransom by blockaging the eastern oil terminals.

Charismatic, Buleghrayeb had spoken out against the militants after Barghathi’s assassination although, according to both federalists and Islamists, he did not take part in the attack on the family home of Wissam Ben Hamid later that night.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

The move to build bridges appears to have been initiated from Salabi’s side. According to a well-placed source close to the Libya Shield commander, one his followers, Ali Sweidan, who is also a member of the Auguri tribe, contacted Buleghrayeb to attempt a reconciliation.  It resulted in Buleghrayeb being invited to Ismail Salabi’s home. Four nights ago, the source said,  it had been surrounded with several hundred guards to protect it when, after attacking Ben Hamid’s home, Barghathi forces headed for the houses of other Islamist leaders in the city.

According to the source, there were frank discussions between the two men, during which Salabi assured Buleghrayeb that he had not been involved in Barghathi’s murder or in any of the assassinations and attacks in Benghazi. The meeting ended up with the two resolving their own differences and promising to try and solve the problems with Ben Hamid, the source divulged.

Federalists have a somewhat different take on the meeting.

“After the assassination of Ahmed Barghathi, the response of the Islamists was surprise as to how few people in Benghazi supported them,” said a source close to the older group of federalists. “That really scared them. With the numbers on the street, they knew that they would not be able to confront the tribes.”

Tensions were still running high in Benghazi, the federalist source said, disclosing that there had been an attack yesterday on a Barghathi camp in Benghazi. “It’s going to be tit for tat,” he predicted, expressing little belief that attempts to build bridges between the federalists and the Islamists would last.

Salabi had told Buleghrayeb, the source claimed, that much of the blame for the city’s troubles lay with the government and Congress. If it had implemented Sharia law, Salabi was reported to have said, there would not have been any problems. [/restrict]

Tags: bargathiBenghaziIsmail SalabiLibya

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Reports of Chadian assassins surprise Benghazi

NATO “responds positively” to request for defence advice

NATO “responds positively” to request for defence advice

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.