No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Government rejects HoR report of detainee torture

byNigel Ash
June 24, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

HRW logo
Tripoli, 23 June 2015:

The government has angrily rejected a report . . .[restrict]by Human Rights Watch whose investigators said they had found clear evidence of illegal detention, torture and abuse occurring in prisons under the control of the Ministry of Justice, the army and the security services.

Detainees included terror suspects, some of whom claimed to HRW that they had been tortured into giving false confessions, were denied visits from family and lawyers and had not been brought before a judge or been charged with any offences.

In a statement released in LANA, Justice Minister Al-Mabrouk Omran said that the report was inaccurate, vowed that the government would no longer cooperate with HRW and demanded the removal of the organisation’s local representative.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

HRW said in its report that the court system has broken down completely. It again called on Fatou Bensouda, the chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court to launch investigations, as the court is empowered to do under UN Security Council Resolution 2174 of August last year. Bensouda has said that she lacks the resources to do so.

HRW’s MENA director, Sarah Leah Whitson said in a cover note to the document: “Government ministers, military commanders and prison directors should immediately declare a no-tolerance policy against torture and hold anyone who abuses detainees to account”.
She went on to warn “They should understand that they face a risk of international investigation and prosecution if they don’t call a halt to torture by the forces under their command”.
Between January  and April of this year, the Ministry of Justice gave HRW permission to visit Beida’s Garnada prison twice and the Kweifiyah prison complex in Benghazi, once. HRW investigators were allowed to interview the prisoners without the presence of prison officials.

HRW’s Hanan Salah told the Libya Herald: “We negotiated with each prison director and prison authority individually to be able to speak with detainees without the presence of guards. it was not always easy”.

HRW said that the detention centres visited were holding some 450 prisoners. Of those interviewed, 35 said that they had been tortured either upon their arrest, during their interrogation or subsequent detention. The most common torture was beating on the body and soles of the feet with plastic pipe.  HRW said that four detainees said that the confessions that they made under torture were subsequently broadcast on TV.

The abuse of those arrested was standard under the Qaddafi regime and appears to have continued since the revolution.

HRW told this newspaper that as and when it had the resources, it intended to extend its enquiry into the mistreatment of detainees elsewhere in Libya. However Hanan Saleh said that the organisation had yet to ask those in charge of prisons in Libyan Dawn-controlled areas for access to their detainees.

 

LCDF support banner

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: BeidaBenghazifeaturedGarnadagovernment deniaHRWKweifiyahLibyaprisontorture

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Thinni accuses former LIA chairman Breish of fraud

Fighting in Ajilat despite ceasefire

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.