No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Serraj talks tough on security – but can he back it up?

bySami Zaptia
September 18, 2018
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Serraj talks tough on security – but can he back it up?

Head of the Presidency Council and Government of National Accord Faiez Serraj talked tough on Security and other measures during his meeting with local council leaders (Photo: PC/GNA)

By Sami Zaptia.

Head of the Presidency Council and Government of National Accord Faiez Serraj talked tough on Security and other measures during his meeting with local council leaders (Photo: PC/GNA)
Head of the Presidency Council and Government of National Accord Faiez Serraj talked tough on Security and other measures during his meeting with local council leaders (Photo: PC/GNA)

London, 18 September 2018:

Faiez Serraj, head of the Presidential Council and Government of National Accord, met with the heads of (reportedly) more than 50 western-based municipal and local councils in an open dialogue on the general situation and the repercussions of the bloody clashes in the southern suburbs of Tripoli over the last month.

After opening the meeting with a minute’s silence in mourning for the victims of the armed militia clashes and the recent terrorist attack on the Tripoli headquarters of the National Oil Corporation, Serraj delivered a speech in which he reviewed the measures taken in coordination with UNSMIL for the south Tripoli ceasefire and in initiating new Tripoli security measures (the Security Arrangements).

Serraj said that these new security measures would not be limited to Tripoli but would extend to other cities too.

RELATED POSTS

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

Speaking in a rarely seen animated and tough tone, Serraj stressed that the issue is not just clashes between armed elements (militias), but even more so there are parties in the background who  direct the elements on the ground and work in all ways and by all means to bring down the (Skhirat Libyan Political Agreement) consensus and now work “to ignite a war in the capital which we will never allow”.

Serraj warned that whoever violates the ceasefire agreement “will face a critical response both domestically and internationally”. However, as per usual, he gave no specifics.

Serraj stressed that things will not continue as they had in the past and that what happened to the capital (the militia fighting) is a dividing line (in the sand) between what preceded and what follows.

Referring to the outcomes of the May Paris meeting, including: the holding of elections on a sound constitutional basis at the end of December this year; ending the transitional stages of its current institutions, provided that the House of Representatives (HoR) had submited the referendum law on the permanent constitution by September 16 – Serraj said that so far the HoR had not kept to the Paris agreement.

The HoR also failed, Serraj added, to implement the other outcomes of the Paris agreement such as the gradual dissolution of parallel bodies and the creation of the (right) atmosphere and non-escalation. Serraj added that “some” (holding effective political positions) insist on keeping the status quo in fear of losing their positions and privileges.

On the economic situation, Serraj said that he had hoped that the Central Bank of Libya would have been united in order to agree on a single monetary policy, and that he had tried to achieve such unity, but that the suffering of Libyan citizens no longer allowed for the luxury of waiting.

As a result, he said that he took the responsibility and issued a decision to launch the economic reforms after he had given up on the response of the HoR which was divided.

On the allegations of financial irregularities in the Central Bank of Libya and his government, Serraj said he had taken the initiative and officially asked the UN Security Council to form an international committee under the supervision of the United Nations to inspect the dealings of the Central Bank of Libya in Tripoli and Beida and other parallel bodies and to clarify the reality of the financial situation in the country as a whole.

Serraj stressed that he would not stand helpless before the bureaucracy and obstructers and that his administration will take the necessary decisions that will bring the country out of the current crisis for good, stressing that what is coming next will be decisive and will be better.

 

Tags: Faiez Serraj Presidency Council Government of National Accord PC GNALocal council municipalitymilitiassecuritySecurity arrangementssouth Tripoli fighting

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Tripoli ceasefire broken, condemned by UNSMIL

Serraj PC/GNA sets currency tax at 183 percent, devalues dinar to LD 3.90 per dollar

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.