No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Usama Juwaili and Zintani forces takes Aziziya

byMichel Cousins
November 9, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Usama Juwaili and Zintani forces takes Aziziya

By Libya Herald reporter.

Military forces Aziziya
Zintani military forces enter Aziziya (Photo: Zintan media office)

Tunis, 8 November 2017:

Forces under the control of Major-General Usama Juwaili, commander of the Presidency Council’s western military zone, have taken control of Aziziya, the main town in the Wirshefana district of Jafara west of Tripoli. It happened overnight following a six-day military operation in the area by Juwaili, supported by Imad Trabulsi, head of the Special Operations Force, and latterly by the Tripoli Revolutionaries Brigade of Haithem Tajouri . The latter set itself up at the Zahra Bridge on the Swani road south of the capital.

According to sources in the district, Juwaili’s men were able to move into Aziziya following a deal with Wirshefani militia commander Muammar Al-Dhawi, a lifelong friend of Juwaili. They have taken over the 4th Brigade camp in the town, previously controlled by Omar Tantoush.

It is reported that a number of “criminals” allegedly involved in kidnappings and other crimes were arrested last night, including Mohammed Bujafr Sburtu, accused of a number of abductions on the coast road. Some reports, though, say that several were able to escape in the confusion this morning as more forces arrived. The takeover was largely peaceful and the town is now said to be calm.

RELATED POSTS

Spanish visiting medical team perform joint operations in Beida, US-based consultant visiting in Zintan

Implementation of Zintan Free Zone and exhibitions centre ongoing

In a statement, Zintan Military Council said that the operation had been to show that no one was above the law. As part of that, a major checkpoint on the road into Aziziya made of containers has been dismantled.

According to the Fursan Janzur brigade, however, the coast road remains closed “for security reasons” although it says that some 60 men from the Wirshefana area as well as “mercenaries” surrendered themselves and their arms to the brigade during the day.

Also still closed is the main road between Aziziya and Gharyan. According to the mayor of Gharyan, it remains unsafe and there were clashes there this morning. People are still having to take the longer route via Esbaia, he told the Libya Herald. However, he hoped the road would reopen within 24 hours, adding: “We want the police to provide security in the area. We don’t want militias and armed forces.”

One report from Zintan claims that the 4th camp was full of pro-Qaddafi publicity material.

There have been claims that the real objective of the Juwali offensive was not to crack down on criminals, but on pro-Qaddafi forces in the area that were losing faith in Saif Al-Islam and were in the process of changing their allegiance to Khalifa Hafter and the Libyan National Army.

Assessing the implications of the developments in the Wirshefana area, Hafter today at his headquarter at Rajma outside Benghazi had talks with Brigadier Basheer Al-Najeej, the commander of the 4th Brigade, and Colonel Masoud Al-Dhawi, head of the 26th Brigade.

Hafter meets (
Hafter meets Wirshefani commanders (Photo: LNA)
Tags: AziziyafeaturedLibyaWirshefanaZintan

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
HoR increases retirement age to 70

HoR increases retirement age to 70

US Benghazi attack suspect Al-Imam pleads not guilty in Washington

US Benghazi attack suspect Al-Imam pleads not guilty in Washington

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.