No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sudan not closing Libya border to stop smugglers says Khartoum FM

byNigel Ash
September 8, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Sudan not closing Libya border to stop smugglers says Khartoum FM

Forbidding country near the Sudan border (Photo: Google Earth)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Forbidding country near the Sudan border (Photo: Google Earth)
Forbidding country near the Sudan border (Photo: Google Earth)

Tunis, 7 September 2017:

 

There was confusion this evening after Sudan’s foreign minister Ibrahim Ghandour denied the country’s borders with Libya and Chad were to be sealed.

This contradicted reports that Sudan’s second vice-president Hassabu Mohamed Abdalrahman said yesterday that the borders would be closed to stop the smuggling of weapons and vehicles.

RELATED POSTS

Customs Authority and Internal Security Agency foil attempt to smuggle over € 1 million through Mitiga airport

Brega begins its fuel truck e-tracking system to counter smuggling

Abdalrahman was quoted as saying the move was to counter murderous criminal networks that were bringing drugs, arms, money and stolen cars, particularly sports utility vehicles (SUV) into his country.

Sudan’s frontier with Libya is a relatively short 383 kilometres while with Chad it is 1,360 km.  The border terrain is difficult and patrolling is likely to require considerable resources.

The frontier has always been porous with Tebu tribesmen in particular working with each other from either side.

In 2012 the Zeidan government established a joint border patrol force with Sudan, in which Libyan and Sudanese troops would cooperate. The Libyan command post was set up in Kufra. However, it was never clear how real the force’s patrolling efforts were beyond the odd inconclusive shot-out with smugglers.

Libya  pulled out of the arrangement in 2015.  The move was preceded by a row between Tripoli and Khartoum after an arms-laden Sudanese transport plane was seized at Kufra airport in 2014.

The Libyan joint force commander in Kufra, Colonel Suleiman Hamed Hassan, insisted that the weapons were for his men but the government in Tripoli said they were destined for Libya Dawn militias in Misrata. The Sudanese military attaché was expelled.

Tags: border closurefeaturedIbrahim GhandourLibyasmugglingSudan

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Prince Idris Al-Senussi calls for restoration of 1951 constitution

Prince Idris Al-Senussi calls for restoration of 1951 constitution

Hafter not joining other Libyan players at Saturday’s AU Libya meet

Hafter not joining other Libyan players at Saturday's AU Libya meet

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.