No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Two killed by spent rounds as Benghazi celebrates victory

byNigel Ash
July 8, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Two killed by spent rounds as Benghazi celebrates victory

Fireworks and soe deadly bullets over Benghazi (RPTLY screen grab)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Fireworks and soe deadly bullets over Benghazi (RPTLY screen grab)
Fireworks and soe deadly bullets over Benghazi (RUPTLY screen grab)

Benghazi, 7 July 2017:

The victory celebrations in Benghazi have been marred by the death of a woman and child hit by spent bullets fired off by triumphant soldiers and police.

Besides the two dead, Jalaa hospital reported that eight people had been injured not all of them by spent rounds. At least two people were injured by the many fireworks let off in the street.

Convoys of hooting cars including police patrol vehicles with sirens blaring continued to parade around the city until the early hours of this morning and the celebrations resumed after Friday prayers. A large number of people gathered in Kish square, chanting, cheering, waving flags and giving out sweets. Two years ago demonstrators in the same square were hit by mortars fired from militant-held Sabri and nine people were killed.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

Because school is now out for the holidays, those children who were not taking year-end exams seemed to be everywhere, many giving military salutes with either hand.

The municipality and civil society organisations have been meeting to plan the clean-up and restoration of their city. However, apart from the sewerage that has flooded out from broken drainage pipes and formed noxious ponds in both Suq Al-Hout and Sabri, where the militants made their final stand, there is a considerable danger from unexploded ordinance, mines and boobytraps that hard-pressed Libyan National Army (LNA)  engineers have not yet had time to clear.

Sabri woman hugs LNA soldier who freed her family (Photo: social media)
Sabri woman hugs LNA soldier who freed her family (Photo: social media)

The liberation of the city, bar the last militant remnants holed up in a few buildings in Sidi Akribesh, has probably meant most for the few inhabitants who refused to leave when militants seized control of their district. LNA members posted footage of one family emerging tearfully and an old lady be hugged by a soldier as she wept with relief.

An anxious resident outside his Sabri home (Photo: social media)
An anxious resident outside his Sabri home (Photo: social media)

Nevertheless, some home owners have risked triggering explosions and already gone back to their Sabri properties, either to see what is left of them or because they can no longer afford to stay as internally displaced people elsewhere in the city.

A suspected looter with the TV he is said to have stolen (Photo: social media)
A suspected looter with the TV he is said to have stolen (Photo: social media)

It appears also that not everyone has entered Sabri with honest intentions. The LNA said today they had arrested a suspected looter in possession of a flat screen television set.

Tags: BenghazicelebrationsfeaturedliberationLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Three members of LNA unit found shot dead south of Tripoli

After Benghazi victory, plans revived to move HoR there

After Benghazi victory, plans revived to move HoR there

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.