No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Italy pledges help to reduce flow of migrants from Libya as numbers increase

byMichel Cousins
July 7, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Italy pledges help to reduce flow of migrants from Libya as numbers increase

Rome

By Hadi Fornji.

Rome
Rome conference on controlling trans-Mediterranean migration (Photo: Italian foreign ministry)

Tunis, 6 July 2017:

A conference in Rome on trying to control migration from what are being called “countries of transit” – which mainly means Libya – was told by Italian foreign minister Angelino Alfano that Italy would provide financial support to the EU to support Libya’s ability to control its southern borders; to the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) to help assisted voluntary repatriations to Libya; and to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) to support the fight against people trafficking in Libya and elsewhere generally.

Alfano also reconfirmed a €10-million grant to the UNHCR to provide humanitarian assistance, including food, to migrants transiting though Libya.

The conference, the aim of which was to expand existing partnerships with African migration transit countries and agree new approaches to managing the flow, was attended by the Presidency Council’s foreign minister Mohamed Siala, as well as by the Director General of the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), the Deputy High Commissioner for Refugees and the Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary General for International Migrations.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts former head of the Libyan mission to Italy

Libyan Italian Economic Forum – 16 May at 50th Tripoli International Fair

It came just the day after the spokesman for the Libyan navy, Ayoub Qassem, said that there has been a 20-percent increase this year in the number of migrants setting out from Libya to cross the Mediterranean compared to last year.

Italy is being swamped with refugees: it has taken 85,000 of the 100,000 who have crossed the Mediterranean so far this year and, with the calm summer weather, the number of those crossing daily from Libya is due to increase significantly. Faced with the crisis, Italy has even threatened to close its ports to vessels carrying rescued migrants.  It is also proposing, in conjunction with the EU, the creation of a rescue coordination centre in Libya.

 

 

Tags: featuredItalyLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
France and Algeria laud Benghazi victory over “terrorism”

France and Algeria laud Benghazi victory over "terrorism"

The Libya Paradox

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.