No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya should be more of a priority for the US

bySami Zaptia
November 28, 2017
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

(NCUSLR).
(NCUSLR).

Washington DC, 11 May 2017:

Libya should be more of a priority for the US, both in terms of helping address its immediate challenges but also harnessing the country’s potential in the long-term, former prime minister Mahmoud Jibril told a conference in Washington this week.

Coming amid speculation over what shape the Trump administration’s policy on Libya might take, the day-long conference organised by the National Council on US-Libya Relations, which describes itself as a non-profit educational organisation established last year, included a range of speakers on issues from the political crisis to security and the economy. Attendees included US officials, lobbyists and a range of business figures.

The conference was due to take place earlier this year but was postponed after the Trump administration’s travel ban made it difficult for Libyan participants to travel to the US. Earlier advertising for this week’s event featured National Oil Corporation chairman Mustafa Sanalla and Central Bank of Libya Governer Sadek Elkaber as key speakers but neither was able to attend.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba instructs CBL to terminate Arkenu Oil Company’s oil sales agreement

PM Aldabaiba reopens Tripoli Zoo after a 17-year closure: a symbolic turnaround for the Zoo – from a militia military base back to a leading recreation destination

Others including Presidency Council deputy chair Ali Gatrani, his former PC colleague Musa El Koni and former prime minister Ali Zeidan were also due to address the conference but did not make it.

Several speakers referred to Trump’s recent public comments that he did not see a role for the US in Libya beyond fighting Islamic State militants. Jibril argued that Washington should view Libya with a longer lens, seeing its potential as a future hub of development for the African continent, one which could also act as bridge for Europe.

Walid Phares, a Lebanese-American consultant who served as a Trump campaign adviser on the Middle East and north Africa last year, said that while the US president had stated he had no plan for Libya, “that can change”.

Phares said Trump’s forthcoming visit to the Middle East – during which he is scheduled to visit Saudi Arabia and Israel – along with his attendance at a NATO summit after that “could give him [and our Congress] a view that is more advanced regarding Libya” but he warned Libyans not to expect “dramatic changes”. Phares said more needed to be done to drum up-interest. “Understanding of Libya is limited in the US” – including the appointment of envoys.

Libya’s ambassador to Saudi Arabia Abdulbasit Elbadri, a close ally of Khalifa Haftar and an interlocutor for him with Russia, told the conference he hoped that the issue of greater US engagement with Libya would be raised during Trump’s visit to Riyadh.

In response to a question from the floor, Elbadri said it was not the case that Saudi Arabia was backing Haftar exclusively but, he argued, Riyadh’s view of the Libyan situation was coloured by its decision to designate the Muslim Brotherhood a terrorist organisation in 2014. Asked about the role of Saudi-linked Madkhali Salafists in Haftar’s camp – they have played a key role in his Operation Dignity since 2014 – Elbadri at first declined to answer the question then acknowledged they had fought for Haftar, describing it as “a matter of revenge”.

Elbadri also spoke about the recent meeting between Presidency Council head Fayez Serraj and Haftar in Abu Dhabi, which he said was the culmination of the “significant role” played by the UAE. He described the meeting as “amicable” but added that the discussions “did not go into details” contrary to reports in pro-Haftar media outlets. The objective of the Abu Dhabi meeting was, he said, not “in search of a political agreement or to [discuss] placing people in positions” but to reassure Libyans who are suffering due to the ongoing crisis.

In a later session on rebuilding the Libyan economy, Mohsen Derregia, former chairman of the Libyan Investment Authority, said any attempts to access Libya’s frozen funds should be rejected given the multiple rival entities currently claiming legitimacy in the country. Earlier this month at the Arab League, Fayez Serraj called for the release of funds that remain under UN sanctions in order to ease the economic crisis. “You will start a new civil war if you unfreeze those funds,” Derregia said.

Tags: HafterJibrilNCUSLR National Council for US Libya Relations Washington DC

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
AU Special Envoy in Saleh talks

AU Special Envoy in Saleh talks

Misratan MPs slam Siala's Hafter remark

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.