No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Italians say London meeting may have healed Serraj-Elkaber rift

byNigel Ash
November 1, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Italian foreign minister Paolo Gentiloni (Italian government)
Italian foreign minister Paolo Gentiloni sees glimmer of hope  (File photo)

Tunis, 31 October 2016:

The Italian foreign minister has said that at the Libyan crisis meeting in London today, there seemed a chance of restoring the ruptured relations between Presidency Council chairman Faiez Serraj and Central Bank governor Saddek Elkaber.

Paolo Gentiloni said he saw “a glimmer of hope in finding in finding a compromise to break the stalemate between the Libyan government and the Central Bank and put the necessary resources in the heads of the head of the government Faiez Serraj as he tries to consolidate economic and political stability”.

Serraj last week launched a fierce attack on Elkaber accusing him of failing to fix the liquidity shortage and not protecting the value of the dinar. Elkaber hit back saying Serraj had had no economic policy and was ruining the economy.

RELATED POSTS

MedSky CEO foretells the resumption of direct Tripoli-London flights as an imperative on several levels

As Tripoli PM Aldabaiba fills two vacant ministerial posts, Presidency Council expresses a split over the legality of their appointment

Gentiloni added that such a compromise between the two men would also help the PC make a steady reduction in the number of “irregular migrants”.

He said that he thought addressing the country’s economic problems was the most significant step that could be taken. He warned that as well as the lack of liquidity in the banking system,  there was growing anger among employees who were no longer being paid. Getting a grip on finances would help the government restore infrastructure, particularly for oil and gas.

One of the Libyan attendees today was National Oil Corporation head Mustafa Sanallah as well as Elkaber. Serraj was joined by fellow PC members Ahmed Maetig and Fathi Majbri and foreign minister-designate Mohamed Siala and planning minister-designate Taher Al-Juhaimi.

The London meeting was co-hosted by British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson and US Secretary of State John Kerry. Other countries present were France, the UAE and Saudi Arabia along with UN Special Envoy Martin Kobler and representatives of the World Bank and the IMF.

This evening, however, dissident PC member Ali Gatrani called the London meeting a conspiracy designed to impose the will of outside governments on Libya.

He said that the House of Representatives was the legislative body and the fate of the Libyan Political Agreement and the adoption of the state budget was in its hands. He added that the PC had been inquorate at its meetings since they were not always attended by the chairman and all of his five deputies as, he maintained, is required under the LPA.

Tags: Central Bank of LibyaElkaberfeaturedGentilonijohnsonKerryLibyalondonPresidency CouncilSerraj

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

New Zawia ceasefire agreed as three die in fresh fighting; Grand Mufti claims pro-Hafter forces present

Another military man takes over from mayor in the east

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.