No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Moscow tones down criticism of US strikes in Sirte, calls for anti-terror coordination

byMichel Cousins
August 2, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Moscow tones down criticism of US strikes in Sirte, calls for anti-terror coordination

Mussian

By Libya Herald staff.

Mussian
The foreign ministry in Moscow (Photo: TASS)

Tripoli, 2 August 2016:

Russia has responded to the US airstrikes on Islamic State (IS/Daesh) targets in Sirte with a call for closer international coordination in the war on terror. But such action must keep to international law, it said.

“Russia has always advocated the need for decisive action to destroy Daesh and other terrorist groups, wherever they may be, in strict compliance with international law,” the Russian foreign ministry said today, adding that “we believe it is fundamentally important to establish solid coordination among all states engaged in the fight against terrorism”.

The statement represents a shift in Moscow’s position. Earlier, Russian news agency Interfax reported the Russian ambassador to Libya, Ivan Molotkov, describing the US airstrikes as illegal. It also quoted him saying that there was no prospect at present of lifting the UN arms embargo on Libya.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli based Libyan PM Aldabaiba takes part in Q&A as part of Tripoli Media Days – talks about Russia, corruption, El-Kaber, Bengdara and elections

Facilities Security Authority meets Russian and Italian ambassadors – discusses training and provision of security to returning companies

In the later version, however the foreign ministry noted that US operation in Libya had been carried out on the request of the Presidency Council “headed by Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj” (as Tass news agency described him).

In its response, the Russian Foreign Ministry also called on all Libyan political bodies to end their disagreements and support the Libyan Political Agreement for the benefit of the Libyan people.

“This will allow to continue the political process launched in the Moroccan city of Skhirat which envisages forming state institutions, including army and police; ensuring security, law and order in Libya; effectively countering the terrorist threat,” the foreign ministry added.

The call for coordination reflects the fact that in Syria, the Russians have been carrying out repeated airstrikes against IS and other opponents of fighting the Assad regime. Yesterday while US planes were targeting IS in Sirte,  Russian planes were bombing what it described as “militants” in Aleppo.

Tags: featuredIvan MolotkovLibyaRussiaUS

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post
Million dinar ransom demanded for Warshefana man

Million dinar ransom demanded for Warshefana man

CBL reveals 56 attacks on branches of 11 different Libyan banks between 2012 to 2016

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.