No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hafter throws down gauntlet to international community

byNigel Ash
April 17, 2019
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Hafter throws down gauntlet to international community

Khalifa Hafter speaking on TV last night (Screen dump)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Khalifa Hafter speaking on TV last night (Screen dump)
Khalifa Hafter speaking on TV last night (Screen dump)

Tunis, 18 May 2016:

Khalifa Hafter, appointed by the House of Representatives as commander-in-chief of the armed forces has . . .[restrict]thrown down a gauntlet to the international community just 48 hours after 21 states supported the Government of National Accord at the Libya summit in Vienna.

“The decisions of the Accord Government are just ink on paper. I don’t care about them”  he told Libya TV in an hour long interview conducted in his office at his Marj headquarters. This was so, he said, because the government had not yet been recognised by a vote from the House of Representatives.

Hafter also rejected the Presidency Council’s establishment of a Presidential Guard. In Vienna on Monday it was agreed that the UN Security Council should be asked for a partial lifting on the 2011 arms embargo to arm and equip this force.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

Aldabaiba instructs CBL to terminate Arkenu Oil Company’s oil sales agreement

Though relatively un-animated throughout the interview, Hafter was derisive of what he described as the UN-imposed Government of National Accord. He said he did not have time to waste with UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler.  Last week Hafter rejected a meeting proposed by Kobler. “  I rely on the army and the police and not on a UN official” he said.

Hafter, who has in the past denied that he had any political ambitions, rejected accusations that he was seeking power. “Dictatorship will not return to Libya”.  He argued that the army, which had been hit badly during the NATO intervention, was along with the police, the guarantor of Libyan stability. “  We want Libya to be a civilian state. Dictatorship will not return to Libya,” he said, “ We want the army to return to its former standing”.  He said that he believed that Libyans wanted democracy and so did he, adding that he had lived 25 years in the West.

But he continued that there could be no democracy if there were instability, chaos and militias.

He blamed terrorism throughout the world, not simply in Libya, on the Muslim Brotherhood. He said that his mission was to get rid of terrorism and the Muslim Brotherhood.

He maintained that the Libyan National Army represented all Libyans. His Operation Dignity (Karama) had begun by fighting terrorism in the east. It has been a magnet that had attracted loyal soldiers and civilian volunteers.

None of what Hafter said was particularly new but the timing of the interview by a man who rations journalistic access, would seem to be significant. As yet there has been no detailed reaction from any of the players in the west of country but social media has been buzzing with messages of condemnation or support. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGNAHafterKoblerLibyaPresidency CouncilUNSMIL

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

MiG crashes at Tobruk

Misratan-led forces edge closer to Sirte

Misratan-led forces edge closer to Sirte

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.