No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sabratha combing operations continue as IS women fighters reported

byMichel Cousins
July 20, 2017
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Saber Ayyub and Ajnadin Mustafa.

Tripoli, 27 February 2016:

For the fifth day today, there were clashes in Sabratha as local militias and . . .[restrict]armed residents, with support from neighbouring towns, continued combing the area for fighters from the so-called Islamic State (IS) hiding after last week’s air attack by the Americans.

Sources in the town say that since the action started on Tuesday, 47 militiamen and armed supporters had been killed, all from Sabratha. Another 101 had been wounded, 83 from Sabratha, 14 from Ajilat, two from Zintan and one each from Jmail and Sorman.

There are no figures of IS casualties. However, for the first time, there are also reports of women IS fighters, at least three of whom are said have been killed.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

A usually reliable source in Sabratha had said this morning that largescale fighting in the area ended last night and that while there had also been some clashes involving IS fighters north of the neighbouring town of Ajilat, it too was over. What was happening in Sabratha today, he claimed, was no more than moping-up operations.

However, Sabratha local council said in a statement this afternoon, that the battle was continuing as locals moved to re-establish control over the area. Usually strongly loyal to the Tripoli regime, it also expressed astonishment at the Tripoli defence ministry for claiming that Sabratha was free of IS. It was not, it said, adding that it would take action against anyone sheltering IS fighters.

Ironically, the local council has spent the past few months emphatically denying there was any IS presence in the town.

As part of today’s moves to weed out the terrorists, it is claimed that local IS leader Abdullah Dabashi, reported as killed the day before yesterday, was found and arrested when the home of a local man suspected of links to IS was among those stormed. Dabashi is said to have been responsible for the kidnapping of the two Serbian diplomats killed in the US air strike. Also said to have been found in the same house was the wife of Noureddine Chouchane, the Tunisian IS commander accused of masterminding last year’s Bardo Museum and Sousse attacks in Tunisia. A large amount of money was also found with them.

It is still unclear what happened to Chouchane. He was one of the targets of the 19 February US raid and the Americans claimed he had been killed although sources in Sabratha subsequently denied this. Yesterday a body resembling him was found in the rubble of a destroyed building but there has been no confirmation that it is him.

Meanwhile today, in the terrorist searches, a solider was killed when another house was stormed. “There are still of plenty suspect houses but the fear of explosions makes the guys a bit weary in dealing with them,” a Sabratha activist told the Libya Herald this evening.

Yesterday in another search, seven men and three women, all said to be with IS, were killed when local vigilantes stormed a building in Masalamia district. All ten allegedly fired on the vigilantes, three of whom were also killed. Others were injured. Two other IS men and two women were arrested in the operation.

Once unconfirmed report yesterday spoke of an IS woman sniper also being killed.

Meanwhile today, Sabratha military council has denied that it ordered forces from neighbouring towns who had come to help fight IS to leave.

According to Sabratha media centre, the military council similarly said that operations had not yet finished and called all neighbouring towns to continue their support – the first time that pro-GNC and pro-HoR fighters have joined forces. It told residents to inform it of anything that could help in eradicating the terrorists.

The denial came after reports that the head of the military council, Tahir Gharabli and and one of its members, Ahmed Dabashi, had ordered the neighbouring forces to leave. Both were previously hitherto regarded as a hardline Islamists, in the latter case with links to Ansar Al-Sharia.

Meanwhile, although the official figure so far is 47 dead, neighbouring Zawia is reported saying that it lost 60 of its men in the fight against IS, seven of them beheaded by IS. The claim has not been verified.

In a linked development today, the mayor and councillors from nearby Rigdaleen visited Sabratha to present condolences to the families of those killed by IS in the fighting as well as inspect the situation on the ground. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaSabratha

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Hafter offers IS surrender deal, warns against taking law into own hands

Hafter offers IS surrender deal, warns against taking law into own hands

Government approves Benghazi university reconstruction work, calls on Benina airport staff to report for work

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.