No Result
View All Result
Monday, December 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

More deaths on both sides as Sabrathans hunt down local IS

byNigel Ash
February 27, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
More deaths on both sides as Sabrathans hunt down local IS

A week on from the US airstrike Sabrathans are still fighting the secret residents (Photo: social media)

By Saber Ayyub.

A week on from the US airstrike Sabrathans are still fighting the secret residents (Photo: social media)
A week after the devastating US airstrike Sabrathans are still fighting their secret residents (Photo: social media)

 

Tripoli, 26 February 2016:

The hunt for members of IS in and around Sabratha continued today with an unknown number . . .[restrict]of suspected terrorists reportedly being cornered and killed.

Among the bodies pictured on social media was one said to resemble closely Noureddine Chouchane, the Tunisian, also known as Sabir, who the Pentagon said was the prime target of their air strike a week ago. The dead man is shown wearing ammunition pouch webbing and the long black top and foreshortened trousers favoured by IS in Sirte.

RELATED POSTS

Zawia Refinery security taken over from militias by Libyan Army

Military operations launched in Zawia and surrounding areas ostensibly to fight crime – and possibly militias too

Early this morning, three armed locals died when a house in the Masalama part of the town was stormed. Seven male occupants of the building were killed along with three women while two men and two women were arrested.  Caches of weapons and explosive were said to have been found inside.  Zuwara hospital has reported that it has admitted 13 injured from Sabratha but has not said if they are locals or IS.

The hunt for IS terrorists, whose presence in the town was so long denied by town mayor Hussein Dawadi and the Tripoli authorities, appeared to have been intensified today. The Sabratha media centre called on all residents to report any suspicious people. It has warned that with many of their vehicles destroyed, the terrorists had been seeking to slip out of the town on foot. There are unconfirmed reports that a local family known to have rented to IS one of the buildings in the town, has been seeking to obstruct searches in the area it controls.

Among the pictures of alleged IS fighters is one of three young men in casual dress looking extremely frightened in the enclosed back on a pick-up truck.

Sources have told this newspaper that Abdullah Dabbashi, a Sabrathan alleged to be an IS supporter, was not killed yesterday as earlier reported but was wounded and has been taken to Zawia hospital for treatment. Dabbashi, from a prominent local family, is reportedly being guarded by members of Farouq Brigade,  led by Abu Obeida Al-Zawi, one Libya Dawn’s more radical commanders.

Meanwhile it is being said that some Zawia residents have started turning Tunisians out of the town. [/restrict]

Tags: DabbashifeaturedISLibyaNoureddine ChouchaneSabrathaZawia

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

State Council “meeting” welcomed by Kobler

Army captures 10 IS fighters, warns of booby traps in liberated areas

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • LBBC concludes productive Benghazi visit strengthening UK-Libya business collaboration

    Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.