No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Presidency Council stalemated over defence ministry appointment granted more time by HoR to name government

byMichel Cousins
February 10, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Saber Ayyub.

Negotiations are still on-going within Presidency Council in Skhirat as the HoR sets it a deadline to present its GNA.
Negotiations are still on-going within Presidency Council in Skhirat as the HoR sets it Sunday as the  deadline to present its GNA.

Tripoli, 10 February 2016:

Facing stalemate over the choice of defence minister the Presidency Council meeting in Skhirat has been . . .[restrict]given until next Sunday to name its government. The extension, which had been requested by the Council, was agreed at a session of the House of Representatives (HoR) yesterday in Tobruk.

The selection of a defence minister caused a bitter divide among some members of the Council, largely between Ali Gatrani, an ally of Khalifa Hafter, on the one side and, on the other, Misrtan businessman Ahmed Maetig, Mohamed Ammari, and Abdussalam Kajman.

It has resulted in frayed tempers which at one point became physical with Gatrani, Maetig and some others at Skhirat involved in a brawl which was photographed.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Three names for the defence post were proposed: Mohamed Hassan Al-Barghathi, a former ambassador to Jordan; Abdulbasset Al-Badri, Libyan ambassador to Saudi Arabia and Jordan, and backed by Qatrani; and Hassan Abdullah Elabbar, a former police commander.

Intense pressure is said to have been put on Maetig, Ammari, an Islamist seen as linked to the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, and on Kajman, who is linked to the Muslim Brotherhood, to accept Bargathi and at one point it was said that they had conceded.

However, the choice is not yet been fully agreed and there are reports that the Council is once more thinking the unthinkable – that no defence minister be appointed.

Such an outcome is seen as unlikely, however, as it would almost certainly leads to calls in the HoR for the entire Council to be sacked on the grounds that it had proved its inability to do its job.

Already the delays in appointing a government plus the altercation between Maetig and Gatrani, the photo of which was posted on social media, have prompted some HoR members to look for alternatives. A group of parliamentarians are expected to meet with Hafter today to discuss their options. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdulbasset Al-BadriAbdussalam KajmanAhmed MaetigfeaturedGNALibyaMohamed AmmariMohamed Hassan Al-Barghathi

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
CBL reduces annual hard currency transfer limit for individuals

CBL reduces annual hard currency transfer limit for individuals

Wheat imports delay could lead to bread flour shortage in east

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.