No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

GNC continues to mull Leon names

byMichel Cousins
October 14, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tripoli/Tunis, 14 October 2015:

Following a meeting today, Wednesday, to debate the names from UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon of . . .[restrict]the new prime minister, deputy premiers and the two other members of Government of National Accord who will comprise the Presidency Council, the General National Congress in Tripoli has said that it needs more time to consider them and Leon’s Draft Agreement.

At a press conference this afternoon, the head of the GNC’s Dialogue negotiating team, Awad Abdul Saddeq said the proposals were still being discussed. He also claimed that the GNC had been “surprised” at the names because they had never been mentioned in nine months of negotiations.

Last week, Leon named HoR member Faiez Al-Serraj as prime minister and three deputy premiers – Ahmed Maetig, Fathi Majbri and Musa Kuni, representing Tripolitania, Cyrenaica and Fezzan respectively.   The two other members of the presidency council named by Leon are Omar Aswad, from Zintan, and Mohamed Ammar, one of the GNC’s team at the Dialogue negotiations.

RELATED POSTS

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

The GNC is believed to be under intense pressure to agree the deal, notably by Turkey and Qatar which support it.

The statement by Abdul Saddeq contradicts that of Sadiq Idris Mohamed, one of the HoR’s negotiators at the Dialogue. He told members of the House yesterday that most of the names had been first suggested at the Dialogue ten months ago.

He himself opposed them and the deal, he said.

Meanwhile Fathi Bashagha, the boycotting Misrata HoR member and commander of the city’s powerful Halbous Brigade has welcomed Leon’s proposals, saying that those chosen as well as 19 other names proposed by Leon for ministerial or other state positions were highly regarded and understood the country’s current political dynamics.

Leon has said that Bushagha, one of the Libya Dialogue negotiators representing the HoR boycotters, should be given the post of head of national security.

It is not known when the GNC will next meet. The HoR which similarly failed to make up its mind on the deal yesterday is due to meet again next Monday, the eve of the 20 October deadline set for an agreement by Leon. [/restrict]

Tags: Bernardino LeònLibyaUNSMIL

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Confusion over seized Tunisians and Sabrathan mayor

Confusion over seized Tunisians and Sabrathan mayor

UNSMIL deal "just ink on paper": Ghariani

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.