No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UNSMIL condemns Hafter’s Operation Doom against IS in Benghazi, says it aims to undermine peace efforts

byMichel Cousins
September 20, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Benghazi, 20 September 2015:

The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), headed by Bernardino Leon, has “strongly” condemned . . .[restrict]the military escalation in Benghazi launched yesterday by the head of the Libyan armed forces Khalifa Hafter.

“The timing of airstrikes clearly aims at undermining the on-going efforts to end the conflict,” it said in a statement issued from Skhirat, Morocco, where the UN-brokered Libya Dialogue negotiations are taking place.

Hafter yesterday unveiled his latest bid, Operation Doom (Hatif), to rid Benghazi of Islamic State (IS) fighters and other militants. It is supposed to be a coordinated ground and air strategy to deal with them once and all and targeted primarily in the city’s Leithi, Gwarsha and Sabri districts.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

“A military solution is not a viable option in Libya”, UNSMIL said, noting that already too many civilians had been killed or wounded, more than 100,000 displaced and areas reduced to rubble in the battle for Benghazi.   The latest air offensive would merely add to residents’ suffering, it added.

“Whether in Benghazi or elsewhere in the country, armed hostilities have shown time and again that they can only bring destruction and suffering for the Libyan people.”

The airstrikes, it claimed, were “a clear attempt to undermine and derail the on-going efforts to end the conflict at a time when the negotiations have entered a final and most critical stage.”

Demanding for an immediate ceasefire in the city, UNSMIL also called on key figures who support the Dialogue to use their influence to de-escalate the military situation.

There was no mention in the statement, however, of the actions of IS, Ansar Al-Sharia or the other militant groups who brought violence to Benghazi and tried to take it over by force.

There has been no condemnation either from UNSMIL of Thursday’s attack on the General National Congress which was specifically aimed at undermining the Dialogue process.

In a separate joint statement, ambassadors and diplomats from a number of countries present at Skhirat also condemned the rise in hostilities in Libya, including that they said were “air strikes against civilian population in Benghazi”. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziBernardino LeònKhalifa HafterLibyaOperation DoomUNSMIL

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post

Zueitina port ready to resume oil exports

Qaddafi exiles set up new political group

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.