No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misrata airbase attacked, IS claims responsibility

byMichel Cousins
July 7, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Misrata airbase bombing today (Photo: Social media)
Misrata airbase bombing today (Photo: Social media)

Misrata, 6 July 2015:

A MiG jet fighter and three other aircraft were destroyed at Misrata airbase this morning . . .[restrict]in an attack being claimed by the Islamic State.

In response, the Misrata forces carried out an airstrike on a site west of Sirte, at Al-Dahair, where IS are beleived to have a camp.

“The attack occurred at dawn while people were at prayer,” a source close to Misrata Municipal Council said, adding that the attackers had not fired at the aircraft but left a bomb, probably containing C-4 plastic explosive, under one of the planes. The fire had engulfed the other two and then spread to the MiG 25, the source explained.

RELATED POSTS

The first Libyan Bosnian Business Forum held in Misrata deemed an economic turning point between the two countries

Libyan – Bosnian Business Forum – to be held from 29 to 30 March in Misrata

“Only the Mig 25 was in working order,” he continued. “The other three were malfunctioning and were not being used. But there are other working planes at the airbase, including a Mirage.”

In its announcement claiming responsibilty, IS showed pictures of two people who it said had broken into the airbase and blown up the planes which it claimed had been used to bomb Muslims in Sirte, Nufaliya and Harawa.

How the attackers managed to get into the airbase, which shares the same site as the civil airport, is unknown. An investigation has been set up and video footage is reportedly being examined.

Later this morning, in response to the incident, the Mirage was used to attack an IS camp west of Sirte, the source stated.

The attack is causing serious concern in Misrata. In recent months, IS has accused Misratans of being apostates and “enemies of God” and promised an onslaught of suicide and car bombings in the city. There have been a number of suicide attacks on checkpoints around Misrata, the most recent being at the end of May. For IS to get into a facility that should be completely protected suggests poor either security or growing IS capabilities, or both. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredISLibyaMisrata

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

HoR appoints offical to plan for transfer to Benghazi

Zliten hospital delivers quintets

Zliten hospital delivers quintets

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.