No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya’s Vatican envoy says only national stability will stop the migrant flow

byNigel Ash
May 14, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libya’s Vatican envoy says only national stability will stop the migrant flow

Libyan ambassador to the Vatican, Mustafa Rugibani

By Libya Herald staff.

Libyan ambassador to the . . .[restrict]Vatican, Mustafa Rugibani
Libyan ambassador to the Vatican, Mustafa Rugibani

Tunis, 13 May 2015:

Libya’s ambassador to the Vatican has told a special conference of African ambassadors to the Holy See that the root cause of the emigrants flooding through Libya seeking to reach Europe by sea was the lack of opportunities in their homelands.

Mustafa Rugibani has reported that Vatican is asking African ambassadors accredited to the Holy See to, “recommend to their governments solutions that would ensure development for the people in Africa.”

However, in an interview with Vatican Radio, Rugibani accepted that this would have to be a long-term solution. He said the real answer was Libyan stability.

RELATED POSTS

Three million illegal immigrants in Libya, 75 % of whom are families, constitute ”settlement” which Libyans reject – illegally transfer US$ 7 billion annually: Interior Minister Trabelsi

IOM identifies 894,890 migrants in Libya from 45 nationalities in May-July 2025 reporting period – 18 percent up on 2024

“Our army is trying to increase security” he said, pointing out that the government had no control over the parts of western Libya through which the migrants are being passed by people traffickers.

“ We have proposed to the Italian government that they help our army in training and giving ammunition” he said.

Rugibani pointed out that it 2010 there had been just 500 migrants from Libya arriving in Italy. Last year the figure had been 170,000 and this year it was already around 400,000.

“This means we have no security in the country,” he said, “especially in the west part of Libya. They are mainly coming from three or four ports, like Zuwara, Sabratha, Tripoli. The legitimate government is not effective there”.

Rugibani was leery of the EU plan to destroy the smugglers’ boats before they could be loaded with migrants.

“ I don’t think they have touched the real problem” he said, “They have only scratched the surface. The issue is not the ships. The problem is the smugglers. These migrants are big business for organised crime, the armed militias. If their vessels are destroyed today, they will have other ships tomorrow. The solution is to create stabilisation in Libya with the legitimate government”.

LCDF support banner [/restrict]

Tags: African ambassadorsfeaturedLibyamigrantsMustafa RugibaniVatican

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Misrata demonstrators back municipal council

Misrata demonstrators back municipal council

Heavy fighting continues in Benghazi

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.