By Libya Herald reporters.
Benghazi, 13 May 2015:
The electricity may be back on in Benghazi but the attention today was on the . . .[restrict]continuing military operation in the city. It resounded to the sound of aerial bombardment and heavy artillery fire for much of Wednesday as the Libyan National Army (LNA) continued to hit Ansar Al-Sharia positions both in Sabri and south west of the city, in the Garyounis area and at Mreisa.
In Leithi, where another LNA soldier was shot dead yesterday, Ansar snipers were again active. Four soldiers were taken to Jalaa Hospital today having been wounded there.
General Saqr Geroushi, the head of airforce, however, claimed that progress was being made. He told the Libya Herald that five Ansar ammunition stores in Benghazi and elsewhere had been destroyed in recent days.
(He also told this newspaper that the Turkish boat hit by his fighter planes on Monday had been carrying 60 Islamic State fighters from the Battar Brigade in Syria to Derna. It has not been able to verify the claims)
Meanwhile, a new police chief took over in Benghazi today. Colonel Mustafa Mohammed Abdullah Al-Ragaig takes over from Colonel Ramadan Al-Wahaishi. He was appointed by the Interior Ministry in March.
In a separate development, the Islamic State today claimed that it has been responsible for mortar attacks of the type that killed three Benghazi children yesterday.
On its Facebook page it published photos purportedly of IS fighters firing mortars in Benghazi.