No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

HoR creates armed forces General Commander role

bySami Zaptia
February 20, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter

Malta, 18 February 2015:

The House of Representatives (HoR) voted on Monday to create the role of General Commander of . . .[restrict]the armed forces, the HoR Media Office reported.

The decision was carried by 53 out of 81 members present. The number of Representatives reported to have voted in favour of the new role was larger than expected, as Libya Herald had been led to believe that only about 40 Representatives were in favour of creating such a role.

The new General Commander will be chosen by direct voting within the HoR from a list of candidates who nominate themselves for the role at a later date, the report said.

RELATED POSTS

HoR Speaker Saleh cancels new import tax having previously claimed he had never agreed such a tax. Is Saleh’s position weakening? Report and analysis

HoR unofficial meeting proposes a new reform Roadmap to elect new leadership and amend internal regulations

There is, nevertheless, strong opposition within the HoR for the creation of such a role, not least from the House Defence and National Security Committee.

It will be recalled that Mosab Al-Abed, Deputy Chairman of the House of Representatives Defence and National Security Committee, told Libya Herald last week that the House was not about to appoint Khalifa Hafter as the General Commander of the Armed Forces.

Al-Abed had at the time been speaking on the background of increasing reports that HoR President Agheela Salah was considering taking the unilateral decision of appointing Hafter General Commander of the Libyan armed forces.

The leadership of the HoR had been given the power to act as Supreme Commander of the Libyan Armed Forces, however, Al-Abed had pointed out that this power was granted to the leadership as a whole, meaning the President and his two Deputies, and not exclusively to Salah.

Moreover, Al-Abed had also pointed out that the power was granted for a limited period of three months – a time frame that had now elapsed.

Al-Abed was also keen to point out that the HoR and his Defence and National Security Committee were determined that there is civilian oversight on Libya’s post 17 February 2011 army, and that the new democratically accountable army is headed by a civilian.

Furthermore, he had pointed out that Hafter is now aged 74 and that again under existing laws he could not hold the position of General Commander. The labour laws would have to be amended so as to appoint him, he had explained.

It will also be recalled that several hundred demonstrators had gathered in Benghazi last Friday demanding the creation of a military council to be headed by General Khalifa Hafter.

In what was seen as a co-ordinated move by Hafter supporters, there were similar demonstrations in Beida and Tobruk as well.

The Cyrenaica protests indicate that the growing rift between Hafter and Thinni has not been bridged despite efforts by House of Representatives’ President Ageela Saleh Gwaider.

  [/restrict]

Tags: armyGeneral Khalifa HafterHoR House of Representatives

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Libya and Egypt isolated in Security Council arms plea

Libya and Egypt isolated in Security Council arms plea

GECOL operates blackout backup plant after four years, no need to import Egyptian power

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.