No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Qatar and Turkey “withdraw” from AU Libya meeting after Libyan boycott

byMichel Cousins
January 28, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Qatar and Turkey “withdraw” from AU Libya meeting after Libyan boycott

Empty chairs at AU meeting

By Libya Herald staff.

Tunis, 28 January 2015:

Libyan Foreign Minister Mohamed Al-Dairi as well as Egyptian, Emirati, Saudi Arabian and Guinean delegates . . .[restrict]appear, in a diplomatic compromise, to have engineered Turkey’s and Qatar’s withdrawal from today’s meeting of the Africa Union’s International Contact Group for Libya (ICG-L) in Addis Ababa.  The five had initially boycotted the meeting over the presence of Turkey and Qatar, claimed that the two countries had nothing to contribute and that the African Union (AU) should not have invited them without first consulting African states.

It is now reported that Dairi and the others returned to the hall after Turkey and Qatar had withdrawn.

According to a Turkish official, Turkey delivered a statement during the opening session of the meeting.

RELATED POSTS

Saudi Civil Aviation Authority and several security managers of Saudi air transport companies inspect Tripoli’s Mitiga airport

Minister of Transport Shahoubi held meeting with President of Saudi Civil Aviation Authority – return of Saudi Airlines flights to Libya discussed

“The Turkish delegation departed right after the observers and guests left the meeting. The meeting continued with the attendance of ICG members,” the official said.  He pointed out that Turkey had attended the meeting not at a political but a technical level. “The main international political dialogue is being carried out under the initiative of UNSMIL and Turkey fully supports this process,” he explained.

The ICG-L was set up by AU’s Peace and Security Council last September. It comprises 16 African, Arab and European countries as well as AU, the EU, the Arab League and the UN. Today’s ministerial meeting in the Ethiopian capital is its second. At the beginning of last month, the first ministerial meeting condemned all the violence in Libya, supported UNSMIL’s efforts at dialogue, said that there could be no military solution to Libyan crisis – and also decided there should be another meeting today.

The Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry had earlier warned that his country would downgrade its participation in it if the Turks and Qataris attended. The two countries have had strained relations with Egypt ever since the Egyptian army removed the Muslim Brotherhood’s Mohamed Morsi as president a year and a half ago. They have also been accused by it and by the House of Representatives and the Libyan government of supporting the Muslim Broitherhood in Libya, the Hassi regime and Libya Dawn.

The rivalry still stands although Qatar and Turkey, which have consistently denied the allegations, are now widely seen as trying to encourage dialogue between the Libyan sides.

The need for such an AU meeting at the same time the prime international focus is on Geneva is, according to AU Commission head Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, to review the situation in Libya and “chart the best way forward”. [/restrict]

Tags: AULibyaQatarsaudi ArabiaTurkeyUAE

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Grenade thrown at ISM school in Tripoli fails to explode – no injuries or damage

Grenade thrown at ISM school in Tripoli fails to explode - no injuries or damage

HoR president heads to Addis Ababa for AU summit

HoR president heads to Addis Ababa for AU summit

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.