No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shura Council: We are working to take control

byCallum Paton
October 10, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shura Council: We are working to take control

Mohammed Al-Zahawi, the commander of Ansar Al-Sharia in Benghazi (Photo: Social Media)

By Adam Ali.

Mohammed Al-Zahawi, the commander of Ansar Al-Sharia in Benghazi (Photo: Social Media)
Mohammed Al-Zahawi, the commander of Ansar Al-Sharia in Benghazi (Photo: Social Media)

Benghazi, 10 October 2014:

Mohammed Al-Zahawi, the commander of Ansar Al-Sharia in Benghazi, has said in . . .[restrict]an online message that Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council (BRSC) is working to take control of the while city and predicts that it will soon be completely under its control.

Zahawi’s Ansar Al-Sharia brigade is the largest and most active force in the Islamist BRSC coalition. The video statement posted on YouTube and Facebook is the first time that Zahawi has spoken for the council as a whole rather than his own brigade.

“Benina is encircled from all sides and we are working to deprive the enemy of all ammunition and other supplies,” the Islamist leader said.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

Over the last week, Benina Airport, to the east of Benghazi, has been rocked by some of the most intense fighting seen in the city since 2011. Last Thursday, a double suicide bombing was carried out on Benina, one of the last positions held by Operation Dignity near the city, and followed by days of intense clashes.

While Ansar Al-Sharia and its allies did not directly claim responsibility for the bombing, they released a statement showing strong support for the suicide attack.

Referring to BRSC as “the true revolutionaries”, Zahawi said Khalifa Hafter, the leader of Operation Dignity, was a “traitor and a liar” and later called him “a puppet”.

Zahawi added the pro-government forces had spread rumours and propaganda and had lured Libyans into fighting against the “mujahedin”. He said his forces were making significant progress despite heavy losses.

On Wednesday the body of Saleem Nabous, a prominent member of the Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council was received at the BMC. An Islamist fighter, Nabous was the commander of a lesser known brigade, the Zintan Martyrs’ Brigade.

The Ansar Commander said it was his desire to see stability in Benghazi but that the longer that stability took to achieve the more deaths there would be.

[/restrict]

Tags: Ansar Al-ShariaBenghaziBenghazi Revolutionaries’ Shura CouncilclashesLibya

Related Posts

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
Next Post
Zintanis accusing Libya Dawn of attacking bridge connecting Jebel Nafusa to Aziziya

Zintanis accusing Libya Dawn of attacking bridge connecting Jebel Nafusa to Aziziya

Explosion outside Benghazi’s Tibesti Hotel kills one, injures two

Explosion outside Benghazi’s Tibesti Hotel kills one, injures two

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.