No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Army makes gains in Benghazi as Islamist supporters flee their homes

byCallum Paton
October 31, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Noora Ibrahim and Adam Ali.

Benghazi, 31 October 2014:

The Libyan National Army (LNA) has made gains in Benghazi . . .[restrict]in areas lost in fighting in August. Meanwhile, Islamist supporters of Ansar Al-Sharia have begun leaving their homes.

Head of Saiqa Special Forces Investigations Unit Fadel Al-Hassi told the Libya Herald that Saiqa had returned to its old positions for the first time today after being forced to abandon them three months ago.

He said Saiqa had retained control of its 21 Battalion camp and had retaken the 2nd March camp in the Masekin area. Hassi said Wanis Bukhamada, the Commander of Saiqa, had returned to Benghazi to lead his men after remaining in Tobruk for the last three months. “Victory is near” he said.

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

The head of the Saiqa Special Forces Investigations Unit said large quantities of ammunition held by the forces of the Benghazi Revolutionaries Shura Council (BRSC) had been taken by pro-government forces as they pacify the areas they have overrun. Islamist units have not been out on the streets in force as they had been earlier in the week, he explained.

In reaction to the gains made by the LNA, residents in Benghazi have reported that supporters of Islamist militias and the militiamen themselves have begun leaving. Those fleeing the city appear to be members or supporters of Ansar Al-Sharia and 17 February Brigade.

There has been a widespread campaign to root-out BRSC supporters where they live. Fighting in Benghazi over the last 16 days has seen local people joining the LNA and attacking known Islamists and their sympathisers.

The worst of the conflict over the last two days has been in Buatni, Hawari, Garyounis, Ras Abeida and Sabri. In Hawari the LNA has been attacking Ansar’s base at Mashrua Sasfa.

BRSC forces have reportedly taken up positions in a school in Laithi where they are firing mortars at targets across the centre of the city. Hey Dollar Bohdema and 20 Street have suffered direct hits with some missiles falling on the 2 March compound in Masekin and at 204 and 21 Brigade camps.

Medical staff at Marj Hospital have said that 17 members of the LNA were killed in clashes yesterday and 40 injured. Numbers for casualties within the BRSC are never disclosed although their dead and wounded are believed to be taken to Derna by sea.

[/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziclashesLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Benghazinos counts the fresh cost of 16 days of further fighting

Libyan women activists meet in Cairo to discuss the constitution

Libyan women activists meet in Cairo to discuss the constitution

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.