No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Foreign nationals struggle to send money home

bythomwestcott
June 15, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 14 June 2014:

Money transfer companies are reportedly operating reduced hours, leaving many foreign nationals working in Libya . . .[restrict]struggling to send money home to their families.

“Some Western Union and MoneyGram branches we use are not open at all now and others limit the number of people they will see per day and close early,” one Filipino worker, Bienvenido Clavio, told the Libya Herald. “Western Union has a big advert at Tripoli International Airport claiming it has more than 300 offices in Libya, but where are these?” he said, adding that there were just a handful of Western Union offices in the capital.

Telephone calls to the five Tripoli agents listed by Western Union on its website yesterday went unanswered.

RELATED POSTS

Benghazi Chamber of Commerce receives the Chargé d’affaires of the Philippine Embassy in Libya

CBL authorises activation of money transfers through the stalled MoneyGram and Western Union systems

“They told us that the problem is because the Central Bank of Libya (CBL) won’t release the money,” Clavio said.

Expatriate workers can technically send abroad via banks but here, too, similar problems are being reported. “One bank told me that problems were being caused by workers striking,” Filipino nurse Cecile Cruz said. “They deal with Libyan customers first and then say they are closing because they have seen too many people. Once I waited for two hours so the man decided to help me – I think he took pity on me.”

She explained that sometimes Filipinos sent cash back with fellow nationals whose employers paid for regular return airfares. However, since the Philippines upped the travel alert for Libya, some workers are concerned that they will not be able to return to their jobs in Libya and are choosing to stay put. Although the Filipino government is offering a system of voluntary repatriation because of the unstable security situation, comparatively few nationals have taken this up so far.

“The timing of these transfer problems is very difficult for us because June is the start of school in the Philippines and many people here need to send money to pay for tuition,” Cruz said. “It is a big problem for one of my friends because she is paying for her mother’s dialysis and medical treatment.”

Almost all the Filipino workers in Libya had financial obligations back in the Philippines, Clavio said, whether to help their families or to honour monthly bills.

Banking woes for expatriate workers are not restricted to transferring money abroad. One businessman complained that, when he recently changed banks, it took more than a month to transfer company funds to the new account. “The institutions here are in a coma,” he said. “The people want them to work properly but there seem to be many problems with the administration.” [/restrict]

Tags: bankingCBLLibyamoney transfersPhilippinesWestern Union

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Voter registration deadline today for Libyans living abroad

Voter registration deadline today for Libyans living abroad

Sebha celebrates World Blood Donor Day

Sebha celebrates World Blood Donor Day

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.