No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi Joint Security Room chief shot at

byMichel Cousins
May 3, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Noora Ibrahim, Aymen Amzein and Motaz Ahmed.

Benghazi, 3 May 2014:

Gunmen earlier this evening fired at Colonel . . .[restrict]Abdullah Al-Saiti, the head of Benghazi’s Joint Security Room (BJSR), according to BJSR officials. One of them told the Libya Herald this evening that Saiti had been attending a funeral and was driving along Venezia Street back to the BJSR offices when shots were fired at his convoy. He was unhurt. 

The official claimed that the shots had come from the direction of the Venezia Street entrance of the 17 February Brigade’s headquarters and that the shooting was part of an attempt to kidnap Saiti.

There has been no comment so far from 17 February Brigade nor any evidence that the shots were fired from its premises.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

A statement from Saiti is expected later, the BJSR said.

This is the second known attempt against him. In November, his convoy was hit in a car-bomb attack this morning that killed one of his bodyguards dead and seriously injured another.

Meanwhile, Benghazi’s security chief, Colonel Ramadan Al-Wahaishi was reported on TV today to have resigned following yesterday’s attack by Ansar Al-Sharia on the police and national security headquarters in which at least nine people died. The resignation is so far unconfirmed although Wahaishi’s home is said to have been one of the places attacked yesterday by Ansar Al-Sharia.

Otherwise Libya’s second city was tense but calm today.  

The area in Hawari district around the police and national security headquarters, locally known as the Mudiriya and close to the headquarters of both the BSJR and 17 February Brigade, was blocked off to the public with an army tank brought in for protection in case of further attacks. 

Elsewhere in the area, security was substantially increased with vehicles being stopped and searched at impromptu check points by the police and security forces.

A number of businesses in Venezia Street also reported today that they were ordered by the Security Room to shut. [/restrict]

Tags: Ansar Al-ShariaBenghaziLibyaMudiriyaSaiqaVenezia Street

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

$5 million ransom demand for kidnapped lawyer

LD 800,000 bank raid in Tajoura

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.