No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

60-percent turnout in Zuwara municipal elections

byMichel Cousins
April 29, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
60-percent turnout in Zuwara municipal elections

A woman in Zuwaran traditional dress casts her ballot (Photo:)

By Taziz Hasairi.

A woman in Zuwaran traditional dress casts her ballot (Photo:)
A woman in Zuwaran traditional dress casts her ballot (Photo: Taziz Hasairi)

Zuwara, 27 April 2014:

The turnout in yesterday’s municipal elections in Zuwara is put at around 60 percent . . .[restrict]by to local polling officials.

Eight schools in the largely Amazigh town and three in nearby Abu Kamash were used as polling stations which opened at 8 am.  For the five main council seats there were 30 candidates, all of them men, one of whom withdrew at the last minute. There were also five women vying for the woman’s seat and four for the wounded revolutionary seat. 

Initial but unofficial results for the five general list seats indicate that the the winners are:

RELATED POSTS

Libya and Italy discuss establishment of the Libyan Italian Vocational Training Centre in Zuwara

Four Zuwara Coast Guard officials detained for illegal immigration activity

  1. Hafed Jumaa Ben Sassi
  2. Amro Hajji Hanish
  3. Isa Said Salim
  4. Basem Idris Dahan
  5. Ismael Ahmed Shalgam

Zitona Emhammed Moammer is said to have won the woman’s seat and Samir Yekhlif Algandouz the wounded revolutionary seat. Aged 30 years old, he was the youngest candidate in the contest.

Not only was Zitona Moammer the oldest women standing, it appears she is also the most popular. It is reported that she has won more votes than any other candidates standing, male or female. 

The turnout is viewed outside the town as highly encouraging. Last week, the turnout in Benghazi was 50 percent, and that was on a disappointingly low number of residents who had registered to vote.

In Zuwara itself, however, there is some surprise that the elections took place at all or, at least so rapidly after the recent boycott of both local and national elections over the demands for greater Amazigh rights. It is only since the 20 February Constitutional Assembly elections that the Amazigh Supreme Council changed its mind on the electoral boycott and agreed to the municipal poll. 

Thus, although according to Salim Almansouri, head of the local subcommittee of the Central Committee for Municipal Council Elections, 45 percent of potential voters had registered to vote, far more than in Benghazi or even Misrata, this is being seen within Zuwara as low and is attributed to continuing opposition to all elections, seen as an endorsement of the government and General National Congress.   

A number of local resident said they continued to be opposed to any elections on the basis that they were an endorsement of the government and the General National Congress. [/restrict]

Tags: Central Committee for Municipal Council ElectionsLibyamunicipal electionsZuwara

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Guards abducted and LD 6 million stolen in Aman Bank security van heist

Guards abducted and LD 6 million stolen in Aman Bank security van heist

Violence continues in Benghazi

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.