No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misrata forces push Jadhran’s guards out of Sirte, plan to head to Sidra

byMichel Cousins
March 11, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ashraf Abdul-Wahab.

Tripoli, 11 March 2014:

Petroleum Facility Guards (PFG) supporting Ibrahim Jadhran were forced from Sirte’s Ghardabiya . . .[restrict]airbase and out of the town’s Bu Hadi district today after they were attacked by troops from Misrata.

Military officials told the Libya Herald that the Libya Shield Central Brigade captured the base from the Jadhran forces which had taken it over last week. No one on either side was reported injured in the fighting. 

The brigade had been dispatched from Misrata by the Chief of Staff specifically to spearhead an attack on Jedhran forces and liberate the oil terminals and fields, in line with orders from Congress to end to Jadhran’s oil terminals blockade. The decision came in the wake of his moves to export oil from Sidra.

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

The takeover of the airbase by the PFG, arriving in 80 vehicles, was largely overshadowed by the oil tanker story.

There had been attempts to negotiate its departure by local elders but it had refused to leave. It was at this point that the Chief of Staff ordered the Misratans in. According to reports, the brigade, armed with tanks, technicals, canon and Katyusha rocket launchers, halted 50 kilometres west of Sirte for fresh negotiations. When these failed, a source in the brigade said, it attacked, capturing a number of PFG weapons in the process.

According to the source, part of the brigade is tonight stationed at Sirte’s eastern entry awaiting reinforcements and instructions from the Chief of Staff to move to Sidra and then on to the other terminals controlled by Jadhran. The source added that the brigade could free the oil ports itself  but was acting on the instructions of the Chief of Staff not to move until the arrival of reinforcements.

The force so far is put at 3,000 strong. Latest reports say that three Tebu units, one with 80 vehicles, arrived this evening in eastern Sirte to join it. Other troops are expected overnight, bringing the entire force to 5,000 by tomorrow.

Security in Sirte for much of last year was in the hands of the Zawia Martyrs’ Brigade. A senior officer in the brigade, Colonel Jamal Al-Zahwi, is reported saying that when the Libya Shield force arrived in Sirte today  it also attacked his headquarters. “We were surprised at this”, he said, insisting that his men were under the command of the Chief of Staff.  However, realising their mistake, he said, the Misratan force apologised and left.  [/restrict]

Tags: Ibrahim JadhranLibyaLibya ShieldMisrataPetroleum Faculty GuardsSirteTebu

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Tripoli renews bid to kick out militias

Libyans continue to be optimistic, for democracy – against use of force and unilateral regional autonomy

Libyans continue to be optimistic, for democracy - against use of force and unilateral regional autonomy

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.