No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libyans and crew from oil tanker delivered to Tripoli

bythomwestcott
March 23, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Tom Westcott and Ashraf Abdul Wahab.

Tripoli, 23 March 2014:

The Morning Glory is now moored off the coast of Tripoli after . . .[restrict]sailing from Zawia last night to deliver the three Libyans and 21 crew on board into the custody of the Attorney General in the capital.

Tripoli was the vessel’s second port of call, after it first went to Zawia, once the Navy took control of the vessel from the US military in international waters yesterday.

The vessel was supposed to unload the illicitly-obtained shipment of oil at Zawia, after sailing there last night under Navy guard, said Colonel Rida Issa. The 21-man crew and the three Libyan prisoners – one understood to be a brother of self-styled federalist leader Ibrahim Jadhran – on board were supposed to then be taken to Tripoli.

RELATED POSTS

Libya buys two new oil tankers – part of its 2020-23 development plan

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

“When I discovered that the security situation was not good in that area, I decided to take the tanker east without giving its exact destination,” Issa said. At 10pm, the tanker arrived off the coast of Tripoli where it moored until this morning.

The vessel was unable to berth either at Tripoli Port or the capital’s Naval Base, as neither could accommodate the depth of the tanker which was carrying an estimated 234,000 barrels of oil.

“Some security forces boarded the tanker at around 7am and, at 10am, we brought the prisoners to Tripoli Naval Base and handed them over the the Attorney General,” Issa said.

However, sources at the Naval Base told the Libya Herald that the handover had not gone quite as smoothly as implied by Issa.

Members of the Counter Crime Agency and ordinary police officers apparently argued about who should be responsible for taking the prisoners ashore. With members of both forces having been issued with conflicting orders about who should act as guards and who should take charge of the prisoners, the result, he said, was “total chaos.”

The whole operation was characterised by poor organisation, the source said.

Even today’s press conference to announce the successful return of the tanker and the delivery of those on board did not go smoothly. The way the media side of the handover had been handled caused outrage amongst journalists. Reuters news agency and Libyan national TV Al-Wataniya had apparently been the only two media organisations allowed access to the vessel to witness the handover. [/restrict]

Tags: Americafederalismhydrocarbon crimeillegal oil exportLibyaOil tanker

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Ahly Benghazi: a new CAF champion in the making

Congress orders new elections for 13 unfilled Constitutional Assembly seats

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.