No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Zeidan denies Egypt caved in to blackmail over kidnapped envoys

byCallum Paton
February 2, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Zeidan denies Egypt caved in to blackmail over kidnapped envoys

Ali Zeidan with his Egyptian counterpart Hazem Beblawi (Photo:Prime Minister's Office)

By Callum Paton.

Ali Zeidan with his Egyptian counterpart Hazem Beblawi (Photo:Prime Minister's Office)
Ali Zeidan with his Egyptian counterpart Hazem Beblawi (Photo:Prime Minister’s Office)

Tripoli, 2 February 2014:

Prime Minister Ali Zeidan has denied that Egypt released a leading Libyan militia chief because five . . .[restrict]of its diplomats had been kidnapped in Tripoli nine days ago.  He was speaking after a meeting with Egyptian premier Hazem Beblawi in Cairo.

At a joint press conference with Beblawi,  Zeidan  said on Friday that the release by the Egyptians of the  head of the Libyan Revolutionaries Operation Room (LROR), Shaaban Hadia Al-Zway,  did not mean  that the Egyptian authorities had  caved  in to pressure or negotiated an exchange following the kidnapping of the Egyptian diplomats.

The Prime Minister said that he knew Zway personally. He called  him “an ordinary man”, adding that the LROR commander had merely been questioned and released by the Egyptians over his residency in Egypt.

RELATED POSTS

Kidnaper in 2019 of 14 Tunisian nationals convicted for 12 years’ imprisonment

Libyan Railroads signs MoU with Chinese BFI Consortium for rail line to Egypt

“I have been assured by the Prime Minister that the Egyptian state would never accept or tolerate blackmail or compromise,” Zeidan said, adding “The Egyptian government has acted with honour in this matter”.

Beblawi said that Egyptian diplomatic staff would be returning to Libya when the security situation allowed. He said that the evacuation of Egyptian envoys from Libya had been solely for security reasons and did not reflect a breakdown in diplomatic relations between the two countries.

Zeidan called Libya’s relationship with Egypt “one of the main pillars” of his country’s foreign policy, adding that he hoped the two states would continue to cooperate in the areas of the economy, labour, culture and education.

The Prime Minister yesterday went on to have his first meeting with  Field Marshall Sisi.  According to Libya Mostakbal, the two men reportedly discussed matters of border security including the cross-border movement of weapons and extremist groups.

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: Abdel Fattah Al-SisiEgyptfeaturedkidnappingLibyaZeidan

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post

Paris denies French press reports of commandos operating in south

Football champions home tomorrow - tour to start in Benghazi

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.