No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Combatants claim LROR leader captured in Warshefana clashes

byCallum Paton
September 16, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ajnadin Mustafa.

Tripoli, 16 September 2014:

The leader of the Libyan Revolutionaries Operation Room (LROR), Shaaban Hadia Al-Zawi, better . . .[restrict]known as Abu Obeida, has been captured during fighting near Tripoli and two of his commanders killed, Warshefana military sources have claimed.

A deputy commander of Warshefana’s Khaled Al-Abeid Martyrs’ Brigade told the Libya Herald that Zawi was currently receiving treatment in Zahra following his capture. The LROR leader is said to be in a critical condition, having lost one arm in the fighting and sustained a blow to the head.

There have been unconfirmed reports from the LROR denying the capture, with some claiming Zawi left Libya two months ago. Others have said that Zawi was taken prisoner and then summarily executed by the Warfeshana forces.

RELATED POSTS

UNSMIL calls for immediate de-escalation and an end to Tripoli’s ongoing armed clashes

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Two of Zawi’s commanders,  Muhamed Luwai Al-Bishti and Salah Wadi were also reportedly killed in the fighting over the past two days. The Warshefana source claimed Bishti had been killed while fighting, with Wadi, who had been from Warshefana but  was also a leader within the LROR’s Brigade 27, dying from grave injuries in hospital.

Zawi was implicated in the kidnapping of former Prime Minister Ali Zeidan in October. His own arrest over alleged links to Al-Qaeda by Egyptian officials in January led to the kidnapping of five Egyptian diplomatic staff who were then exchanged for Zawi. Officials later denied they had caved in to pressure from the LROR saying its commander was arrested on false pretences and released in accordance with proper procedure.

Washefana where the LROR has been fighting alongside its Libya Dawn allies has had some of the worst violence in the west of the country visited on it recent weeks.

One man was killed and seven injured last night following rocket attacks which hit the town of Zawia just west of Tripoli. The missiles were reportedly fired from Libyan Dawn positions. Last week hundreds of missiles were reported to have rained down on both the Zawia and Washefana areas.

In response to the continuing violence the House of Representatives has allocated a budget for the region to tackle its humanitarian crisis. The Ministries of Health, Economics and Social Affairs in particular have been asksed to make provisions for displaced people from the area and to make ready whatever food and medical supplies available.

The National Council for Civil Liberties and Human Rights called on Saturday for a ceasefire in Warfeshana to allow for relief to reach the civilian population. It said civilians were being targeted without discrimination and that armed groups within the area were committing various human rights violations including torture, kidnap and the destruction of property and homes.

[/restrict]

Tags: clashescommanderkilledLibyaLRORwarshefana

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
National Human Rights Commission claims HQ attacked by Libya Dawn

National Human Rights Commission claims HQ attacked by Libya Dawn

Election of Ajdabiya mayor sparks row

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.