No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

45 percent turnout in Constitutional Committee elections but 13 seats cannot be declared

byMichel Cousins
February 21, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 21 February, 2014:

The turnout in yesterday’s elections for the Constitutional Committee elections was 45 percent, the . . .[restrict]Higher National Elections Commission (HNEC) has said. But because of violence, disruptions and boycotts, 13 seats cannot be filled as yet.

A total of 497,663 of the 1.1 million people who registered to vote had done so, HNEC chairman Nuri Elabbar said at a press conference late last night. However, reports from twenty-nine centres in five Electoral regions were still awaited.

Violence, the fear of violence and blockades had prevented voting in 81 of the 1,577 polling centres, he said. They had either never opened or had to close. (A further 34 planned for Amazigh had never been activated in the first place because of the Amazigh boycott.)

RELATED POSTS

HNEC holds conference on Libyans’ reluctance to participate in elections

Tripoli based Libyan Prime Minister Aldabaiba launches Three-Track Political Initiative

There were 61 were in Owbari constituency, which included the two sub-constituencies of Owbari and Murzuk; 14 in Derna; three in the mainly Tebu areas of the Kufra sub-constituency, two in the Sebha sub-constituency, and one at the Sarir area of the Ajdabya constituency.

As a result, four seats in Murzuk (including one reserved Tebu seat), four in Obari (including one reserved Tuareg seat), two in Derna 2, and the reserved Tebu seat in Kufra 1.  In addition, there are the two uncontested seats seat reserved for the Amazigh.  There were no problems surrounding the reserved Tuareg seat in Ghadames; the vote there went smoothly, Elabbar stated.

Commenting on the violence in Derna which closed six polling centres (not five, as reported earlier), Elabbar paid tribute to local man Salem Attiya Boujidar Al-Mansouri who was murdered by militants when he tried to stop them breaking into a polling station at a school. He called him a martyr.

HNEC is legally required to state within 24 hours how, when and where alternative elections can be held to enable voters who were unable to participate to cast their votes and elect the 13 representatives, Elabbar said. An attempt would be made today, but if it were not possible the issue would have to be handed over to the General National Congress to resolve, either by appointment of the members of the committee or by other means.

Despite these problems, the polling had conducted as planned in the overwhelming majority of areas and had been an “historic event” in building the state, he said.

Votes cast in the 19 overseas centres where voting had taken place from 15 to 17 February were now starting in those centres, Elabbar added, and the results would be sent to HNEC.

The 45-percent turnout, although lower than hoped for, is seen as more than sufficient to avoid accusations that the Constitutional Committee has no legitimacy. However, the appointment of if not all the 13 seats, certainly almost all, is another matter. [/restrict]

Tags: Constitutional CommitteeelectionsHNECLibya

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post

Election re-runs next Wednesday says Elabbar

Huge demand prompts Libyan-Maltese business forum to choose larger venue

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.