No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

New military governor to secure Benghazi, says Minister of Defence

bythomwestcott
November 5, 2013
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald Staff.

Tripoli, 4 November 2013:

A military governor responsible for security in Benghazi is being appointed, according to the Minister . . .[restrict]of Defence Abdullah Al-Thini.

He was speaking this morning at a special session of the General National Congress on the security situation in the city. It had been demanded by the city’s Congress members. The Deputy Prime Minister, Sadiq Abdulrahman, who is acting Interior Minister, had been summoned to explain what the government was doing. So too had the Justice Minister, Salah Marghani, as well as Al-Thini, Intelligence head Salem Al-Hassi and the Chief of Staff, Major-General Abdussalam Jadallah Al-Obeidi.

Contrary to media reports, the Prime Minister was not called, Congressman Ahmed Langhi told the Libya Herald.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

In his address to Congress, Thini said that, following discussions between his ministry, Benghazi Congress members and the local council, the appointment of security supremo would be made as soon as possible. However, he refused to name him for security reasons. However, members of Congress later named him as Colonel Awad Al-Saiti who replaced Colonel Younis Al-Abduli just over a week ago as head of the Benghazi Joint Security Room (BJSR).

A fortnight ago, the Prime Minister named Colonel Wanis Bukhamada, the man who currently heads the Saiqa Brigade (special forces) in Benghazi, as the city’s new security supremo.

Speaking today, Thini blamed the spate of killings and the unstable security situation in Benghazi on the absence of a specific plan for the Benghazi Joint Security Room (BJSR). This would now change, he said. In addition to the new security supremo, there  would be a new security force at the BJSR. He would not go into the security details, however, saying that this was responsibility of the BJSR.

According to Congressman Langhi, the results of the new plan would be seen within the next couple of days.

His fellow Benghazi congressman, Saleh Joudah, told this paper that as of today there would be around 1,500 military personnel stationed at strategic locations across the city. They would be members of the Libyan army, he said, but they would be under under the command of the BJSR.

The force, Joudah added, would begin by protecting the most important parts of the city, including all the entrances.

For his part, the Justice Minister told Congress that judges in Benghazi were threatened on an almost daily basis and that until now there had been no one to protect them.

As to who was responsible for the wave of killings, the Chief of Staff revealed that three groups were under investigation.  However, for security reasons he too would not name them.

Meanwhile, in a statement today coinciding with the Congress debate, the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) said it strongly condemned the wave of killings in Benghazi and called on the government to intensify its efforts focus on security in the city as a matter of priority.

A week ago, the BJSR spokesman said that 400 armed vehicles with members of the Libyan Revolutionaries Operations Room had arrived in the city. It was reported at the time that they had come from the west of the country to help ensure Benghazi’s security. However, there were other reports that these were pro-Islamist revolutionaries who had returned east to support their colleagues following  the apparent backlash against a number of brigade leaders in the wake of the murder of the Benghazi head of military police Colonel Ahmed Mustafa Al-Barghathi,

With input from Ahmed Elumami and Ashraf Abdul-Wahab [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziLibyaministry of defencesecurity

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Egyptians protest in Sirte

No obstruction to creation of army – Minister of Defence Al-Thini

No obstruction to creation of army - Minister of Defence Al-Thini

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.